1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Momentum Problems New Student

1. Jan 9, 2007 #1
    Hi. I just recently switched into a physics course midyear, and I really don't know whats going on. Help with a few of these questions would be greatly appreciated.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 2.5 kg ball strikes a wall at 8 m/s and rebounds at 7m/s. The ball is in contact with the wall for 0.2 seconds. What is the force on the wall?

2. Relevant equations
    Im really not sure. Is this it?
    F?t=?p

F(1)?t=m(1)v(1,f) - m(1)v(1,i)

F(2)?t=m(2)v(2,f) - m(2)v(2,i)

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm not sure how to apply that information into the equations, and I'm not even sure if the equations are right.

Please help

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2007 #2

radou

Homework Helper

I don't see why you introduced all those 'initial' and 'final indices', since the only thing you have to know and apply here is that impulse equals change in momentum. You know the definition of impulse, and you know the initial and final (if you like it better) momentum.

4. Jan 9, 2007 #3
    F∆t =∆p ?

I still don't understand how to do it.

5. Jan 9, 2007 #4
    Yep. and ∆p=m∆v

So, F∆t=m∆v
    Finding F... F= m∆v/∆t

6. Jan 9, 2007 #5

radou

Homework Helper

Define the final and initial momentum. The change in momentum is represented by the difference between the final and initial momentum.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?