Momentum Problems New Student

In summary: Then, use the equation F∆t =∆p to calculate the force on the wall.In summary, a student is seeking help with a physics question involving a ball striking a wall and rebounding. They are unsure of how to apply the equations and are seeking assistance. The solution involves finding the change in momentum and using the equation F∆t =∆p to calculate the force on the wall.
street
Hi. I just recently switched into a physics course midyear, and I really don't know what's going on. Help with a few of these questions would be greatly appreciated.

Homework Statement

A 2.5 kg ball strikes a wall at 8 m/s and rebounds at 7m/s. The ball is in contact with the wall for 0.2 seconds. What is the force on the wall?

Homework Equations

Im really not sure. Is this it?
F?t=?p

F(1)?t=m(1)v(1,f) - m(1)v(1,i)

F(2)?t=m(2)v(2,f) - m(2)v(2,i)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to apply that information into the equations, and I'm not even sure if the equations are right.

Please help

Physics news on Phys.org
street said:
I'm not sure how to apply that information into the equations, and I'm not even sure if the equations are right.

Please help

I don't see why you introduced all those 'initial' and 'final indices', since the only thing you have to know and apply here is that impulse equals change in momentum. You know the definition of impulse, and you know the initial and final (if you like it better) momentum.

F∆t =∆p ?

I still don't understand how to do it.

street said:
F∆t =∆p ?

Yep. and ∆p=m∆v

So, F∆t=m∆v
Finding F... F= m∆v/∆t

street said:
F∆t =∆p ?

Define the final and initial momentum. The change in momentum is represented by the difference between the final and initial momentum.

What is momentum?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion, calculated by multiplying its mass by its velocity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

What are momentum problems?

Momentum problems are physics problems that involve calculating the momentum of objects in motion. They often require using the equation p=mv, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity.

What are some common units for momentum?

Momentum can be measured in several different units, but the most common ones are kilogram-meters per second (kg•m/s) and newton-seconds (N•s).

How do I solve momentum problems?

To solve momentum problems, you will need to use the equation p=mv and plug in the given values for mass and velocity. Make sure to pay attention to the direction of the momentum, as it can be positive or negative depending on the direction of motion.

What are some real-life applications of momentum?

Momentum is used in many real-life situations, such as in sports (e.g. calculating the momentum of a moving ball), in car collisions (to determine the force of impact), and in rocket launches (to calculate the thrust needed to overcome the momentum of the rocket).