Monatomic Linear Chain - Comparison of Numerical and Analytical Results

In summary, the conversation discussed the dispersion relation for a monatomic chain and the difficulties in reproducing eigenvectors from diagonalization using the equation for extension from equilibrium. It was suggested to use a more advanced approach, such as the method of normal modes, or to use a computer program to solve for the eigenvectors.
sebpinski
Hi all,

I'm having a few problems with crystal dynamics of a simple monatomic chain.

Taking the dispersion relation:

[itex]\omega^2 = \frac{4k}{m}\left(\sin^2 \left( \frac{\kappa a}{2}\right)\right)[/itex]

Where k=spring constant, m=mass, [itex]\kappa[/itex]=wavevector, a= lattice constant and [itex]\omega[/itex]= frequency.

Now assume we have a periodic chain made up of four ions and applying the boundary conditions we get:

[itex]\kappa = \frac{2 \pi n}{a L}[/itex]

where n is just an integer and L is the length of the chain (here L=4).
Substituting this into the dispersion relation and assuming mass and springs are unity we can calculate the four frequencies for the four admissible modes as [itex]\omega^2=[/itex]0,2,2 and 4.

Now solving numerically, we construct the dynamical matrix using the same values for masses and springs as:

(2, -1, 0, -1; -1, 2, -1, 0; 0, -1, 2, -1; -1, 0, -1, 2)

Diagonalizing this gives the eigenvalues ([itex]\omega^2[/itex]) identical to the ones above calculated analytically and the following eigenvectors (extensions from equilibrium):

(0.5, 0.5, 0.5, 0.5)
(0.7071, 0, -0.7071, 0)
(0, 0.7071, 0, -0.7071)
(-0.5, 0.5, -0.5, 0.5)

I've tried analytically to obtain these eigenvectors but I just can't see how. I recall the equation for extension from equilibrium as:

[itex] u_s = U exp[\frac{i 2 \pi n s}{L}] [/itex]

Again L=4, U is the amplitude and for normalization it is [itex]L^{-1/2}[/itex], [itex]u_s[/itex] is the extension of site s. If I just substitute the values site numbers 1 to 4 in along with mode numbers n= 1 to 4. I do not reproduce the eigenvectors found from diagonalization.

Thanks for any help in advance.
Sebastian

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi Sebastian,

I can see why you are having trouble reproducing the eigenvectors from diagonalization using the equation for extension from equilibrium. The equation you are using is for a simple harmonic oscillator, which assumes that the forces between the atoms are linear and the potential energy is quadratic. However, in your case, you are dealing with a chain of atoms connected by springs, which introduces nonlinearity and changes the potential energy.

To solve for the eigenvectors, you will need to use a more advanced approach, such as the method of normal modes. This involves solving a system of equations using the dynamical matrix and the eigenvectors as variables. This will give you a set of equations that you can solve to obtain the eigenvectors.

Alternatively, you can also use a computer program to solve for the eigenvectors. There are many programs available that can solve for the normal modes of a crystal, such as Phonopy or VASP. These programs use advanced algorithms to calculate the eigenvectors and frequencies of the crystal.

I hope this helps and good luck with your research!

1. What is a Monatomic Linear Chain?

A Monatomic Linear Chain is a one-dimensional chain of atoms, where each atom is of the same type. It is a simplified model used in physics to study the behavior of atoms in a linear arrangement.

2. What is the significance of comparing numerical and analytical results in this study?

In this study, comparing numerical and analytical results allows for a deeper understanding of the behavior of the Monatomic Linear Chain. The analytical results provide a theoretical framework, while the numerical results give a more accurate representation of the real-world system. By comparing the two, we can validate the accuracy of the analytical model and gain insight into the limitations of the model.

3. What factors can affect the results of the comparison between numerical and analytical results?

Some factors that can affect the results of the comparison include the assumptions made in the analytical model, the precision of the numerical calculations, and the complexity of the system being studied. Additionally, external factors such as temperature and pressure can also impact the results.

4. How can the results of this study be applied in practical applications?

The results of this study can be applied in various fields such as materials science, nanotechnology, and condensed matter physics. They can help in understanding the behavior of one-dimensional systems and can be used to design and optimize materials with specific properties.

5. What are the potential future research directions for this topic?

Some potential future research directions for this topic include studying the behavior of non-linear chains, investigating the effects of different types of atoms in the chain, and exploring the behavior of the chain under different external conditions. Additionally, further studies can also focus on comparing the results of different analytical models with numerical calculations to gain a better understanding of the system.