'Monk and the Monastery' problem

• Thread starter Kingyou123
  • Start date
In summary: I already figure out that step the two formulas set equal to each other would be (D/7)(t)=D-(D/3)t. My answer is 2.1 hours, I'm just having trouble finding the formula to plug it in. Sorry for being confused, in post #6 I had v0= D/t and I thought you meant it was wrong so I completely threw out that answer.
Kingyou123

Homework Statement

Check attached image. Is there any point along the path that he passes at the same time each day

Homework Equations

None that I know of...

The Attempt at a Solution

The whiteboard image, I'm not sure if that's how the graph is suppose to look like.

Attachments

• Physics 1.PNG
    Physics 1.PNG
    23 KB · Views: 422
  • Snapshot.jpg
    Snapshot.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 372
Physics news on Phys.org
I do believe that there is a point where the monk would be at the same position at the same time at on both days, but how would I explain it without" saying look at my graph"?

Kingyou123 said:
I do believe that there is a point where the monk would be at the same position at the same time at on both days, but how would I explain it without" saying look at my graph"?
Let's try to write down some equations. Suppose that you mark off time as hours since noon and you mark off position as current distance from the city. Can you write down an equation for the man's position in terms of time during the trip from city to monastery?

xf=x0+v0(t) t=hours and x= position

Kingyou123 said:
xf=x0+v0(t) t=hours and x= position
Can you write down v0 in terms of D?

If the velocity constant then the [v][/0] would be D/t

Kingyou123 said:
If the velocity constant then the [v][/0] would be D/t
You may want to rethink that. In the equation you gave, t is a variable. But velocity is a constant.

xf=xo+x(t)?

Kingyou123 said:
xf=xo+x(t)?
Hint: You know how long it takes to get from the city to the monastery.

jbriggs444 said:
Hint: You know how long it takes to get from the city to the monastery.
xf=xo+x(7), 7 is the number of hours from the office to the monastery.

Last edited:
Kingyou123 said:
xf=xo+x(7), 7 is the number of hours from the office to the monastery.
The problem statement specifies the value for xf.

jbriggs444 said:
The problem statement specifies the value for xf.
D=0+v(7) would the second equation be D=D+v(3)?

Kingyou123 said:
D=0+v(7) would the second equation be D=D+v(3)?
The thing that confuses me is what to solve for, D?

Refer to post #5.

Likes Kingyou123
jbriggs444 said:
Refer to post #5.
V0=(xf-x0)/t

Kingyou123 said:
V0=(xf-x0)/t
What is x0? What is xf? And, for that matter, what is t?

jbriggs444 said:
What is x0? What is xf? And, for that matter, what is t?
t= times from office to monastery or time from monastery to office
xf=is the distance between the monastery and office
x0=is zero since its the starting distance

Kingyou123 said:
t= times from office to monastery or time from monastery to office
Given that t=7 and xf-x0 = D, can you simplify the formula for the velocity on the trip from office to monastery?

I already figure out that step the two formulas set equal to each other would be (D/7)(t)=D-(D/3)t. My answer is 2.1 hours, I'm just having trouble finding the formula to plug it in. Sorry for being confused, in post #6 I had v0= D/t and I thought you meant it was wrong so I completely threw out that answer.

Related to 'Monk and the Monastery' problem

1. What is the 'Monk and the Monastery' problem?

The 'Monk and the Monastery' problem is a math puzzle that involves a monk walking around a circular path in a monastery. The monk starts walking from a particular point on the path and counts each time he passes the starting point. The problem asks for the total number of times the monk will have to walk around the path in order to reach a certain number of counts.

2. What is the origin of the 'Monk and the Monastery' problem?

The 'Monk and the Monastery' problem is believed to have originated in ancient China. It was used as a meditation exercise for monks to practice counting while walking. It has also been referenced in various works of literature, including a story by Jorge Luis Borges.

3. How can I solve the 'Monk and the Monastery' problem?

The 'Monk and the Monastery' problem can be solved using a mathematical formula. The formula is (n/m) - 1, where n is the desired number of counts and m is the number of counts the monk makes each time he passes the starting point. For example, if the monk makes 3 counts each time he passes the starting point and wants to reach 10 counts, the formula would be (10/3) - 1 = 2, meaning the monk would have to walk around the path 2 times.

4. Are there any variations of the 'Monk and the Monastery' problem?

Yes, there are several variations of the 'Monk and the Monastery' problem. Some variations involve different starting and ending points, while others involve multiple monks walking at different speeds. These variations may require different formulas or approaches to solve.

5. What is the significance of the 'Monk and the Monastery' problem?

The 'Monk and the Monastery' problem may seem like a simple math puzzle, but it has been used to teach various mathematical concepts, such as divisibility and modular arithmetic. It also highlights the importance of understanding and using mathematical formulas in problem-solving. Additionally, some people use this problem as a brain teaser or a meditation exercise.