Calculating E Field from B Field of Monochromatic Plane Wave

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the value of E based on the given values of B0 and the polarization angle in a monochromatic plane wave. The equation nhat = cos(theta)xhat + sin(theta)yhat is used to find the value of E, and there is a mention of a formula for E=-{\hat r}\times{\b B} in gaussian units, which is questioned and compared to the formula E = script r x B. The person is directed to refer to equation (9.49) in Griffith's textbook for further understanding.
Nusc

Homework Statement

The B field of a monochromatic plane wave is

B~=B0~ exp(i(kz-wt)[sqrt(3)/2 x-hat + 1/2 y-hat]
Find E~ in terms of B0~.
and the polarization angle.

Homework Equations

We know E~=Eo~ exp(i(k.r-wt)nhat
B~=B0~ exp(i(k.r-wt)(k-hat x n-hat)

nhat = cos(theta)xhat + sin(theta)yhat

The Attempt at a Solution

Would have been trivial if given E instead of B.

What do I do?

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]{\b E}=-{\hat r}\times{\b B}[/tex] in gaussian units.

Where is this formula from? What is it in SI?

B= 1/c script r x E is true, i don't know about E = script r x B, where did u get this fomrula? Where is it in griffith if it is?

Last edited:
Do kXB in (9.49). You have to learn to do some things for yourself.

1. What is a monochromatic plane wave?

A monochromatic plane wave is a type of electromagnetic wave that has a constant amplitude and frequency, and propagates in a single direction in a straight line. It is characterized by its monochromaticity, meaning it has a single color or wavelength, and its planar nature, meaning it has a constant phase over any plane perpendicular to its direction of propagation.

2. How is a monochromatic plane wave different from other types of waves?

A monochromatic plane wave differs from other types of waves, such as spherical or cylindrical waves, in that it does not spread out or diverge as it propagates. It maintains a constant amplitude and direction, making it ideal for mathematical and theoretical analysis.

3. What are some applications of monochromatic plane waves?

Monochromatic plane waves have a wide range of applications in physics and engineering. They are commonly used in optics, such as in lasers and optical communications, as well as in radar and sonar systems. They also play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of electromagnetic radiation and the properties of materials.

4. How is the amplitude of a monochromatic plane wave related to its energy?

The amplitude of a monochromatic plane wave is directly proportional to its energy. This means that as the amplitude increases, so does the energy of the wave. This relationship is described by the equation E = hc/λ, where E is energy, h is Planck's constant, c is the speed of light, and λ is the wavelength of the wave.

5. Can monochromatic plane waves interfere with each other?

Yes, monochromatic plane waves can interfere with each other. When two or more waves of the same frequency and amplitude intersect, they can either constructively or destructively interfere, resulting in a new wave with a different amplitude. This phenomenon is the basis for many interference experiments and applications, such as in diffraction gratings and interferometers.