Moon slingshot powered atmosphere scoop?

In summary, a spacecraft from Earth can use slingshot maneuvers around the moon and aerobraking in Earth's atmosphere to gain speed and gather atmospheric mass, increasing its efficiency with each pass. The practicality and validity of this idea is uncertain, but it offers a potential method for lowering the cost of space exploration and could be a fun mathematical problem. However, it may also face challenges such as limited atmospheric transfer and potential backlash from using Earth's atmosphere as fuel for space travel. Further research and consideration is needed to fully assess the feasibility and potential benefits of this concept.
B.E.M
Here is the scheme:
A craft from Earth slingshots around the moon back towards the earth, gaining some speed (and slowing the moons orbit slightly). a few days later it expends this energy skimming the Earth's atmosphere, scooping some atmosphere into its tanks. It heads back towards the moon with the same speed it had initially, but more mass.

(interestingly, its efficiency increases rather than decreases each time it gathers more mass, because more mass let's it grab more momentum from the moon with each slingshot allowing it to skim more Earth atmosphere)

Can anyone comment on the validity of this idea?
  • Can slingshotting like this work? I initially thought it would add exactly the moon's orbital velocity of about 1km/s but I am no longer sure its that simple.
  • Can aerobreaking maneuvers be designed that create the correct reduction in velocity AND the correct trajectory back towards the moon, especially given that the mass will probably be different each time?
  • If it holds up theoretically, what about practically? eg how strenuous would the aerobraking be? What would the atmospheric pressure in the scoop be?.. (we would need to choose a width of the scoop to answer that of course, but I don't think details of the Earth's atmosphere are required. Instead we are asking how many Newtons to lose how much velocity in a semicircular low Earth orbit.. I think)
  • If it holds up theoretically, has it already been investigated? any reference?

Im not expecting someone to solve all my problems for me (that is well beyond the scope of this thread ;) ) but any pointers would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
No one can help? Forget all that scoop stuff.
Im confident the moon can be used to add energy to the craft. What I am unsure of is if the new orbit can be designed have the exact same minimum distance from the Earth as the initial orbit.

I guess I'm not sure what the point of this is.

russ_watters said:
I guess I'm not sure what the point of this is.

Well it's twofold really. Firstly it is one more wacky scheme for getting mass into orbit at a lower $/kg. It can only gather atmosphere, mostly nitrogen and oxygen. But oxygen is most of the mass of rocket propellent, and nitrogen is (Im guessing) important for growing things in space or within a moon colony.

Secondly, its for the joy of exploring problems with a bit of maths. If it needs a lot of maths I probably can't handle it, though maybe I could write a simulator. However I was wondering if there was a simpler principle that someone with more experience might immediately spot that would make this unnecessary, eg a simple argument that adding velocity in this way would necessarily increase the nearest approach to the earth.

It seems like you could come up with some trajectories that would work, at least for a few passes until the maneuvering fuel ran out on the spacecraft . You wouldn't be able to transfer much air mass per orbital pass, I wouldn't think though. Plus, it wouldn't be too popular with most of the folks here on the Earth -- transferring a portion of our atmosphere to the moon...

What is a "Moon slingshot powered atmosphere scoop"?

A "Moon slingshot powered atmosphere scoop" is a hypothetical device that would use the gravitational force of the Moon to propel a spacecraft towards it, while also collecting and compressing the Moon's thin atmosphere for study.

How would a "Moon slingshot powered atmosphere scoop" work?

The spacecraft would use the Moon's gravity as a slingshot, gaining speed and momentum as it passes close by. At the same time, it would use a scoop or funnel to collect and compress the Moon's atmosphere into a container for analysis.

What would be the purpose of a "Moon slingshot powered atmosphere scoop"?

The purpose of this device would be to study the composition and behavior of the Moon's atmosphere, which is currently poorly understood. It could also serve as a potential source of resources for future space missions.

Has a "Moon slingshot powered atmosphere scoop" ever been used in real life?

No, this is a hypothetical concept that has not yet been implemented in any space missions. However, similar gravity-assisted maneuvers have been used in the past, such as NASA's Voyager 1 and 2 missions which used the gravitational pull of Jupiter and Saturn to gain speed and reach the outer solar system.

What are the potential challenges or limitations of a "Moon slingshot powered atmosphere scoop"?

Some potential challenges of using this device include accurately navigating the spacecraft close enough to the Moon to gain the desired boost in speed without crashing, and effectively collecting and compressing the Moon's thin atmosphere. The device would also need to be equipped with advanced technology to analyze and study the collected atmosphere. Additionally, the cost and feasibility of building and launching such a device would need to be carefully considered.