More Logic statements and arguments

• MHB
  • Thread starter ertagon2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logic
In summary, both arguments are correct, the negation of a statement is $\exists x\in D : \neg((x\le0)\vee(x\ge2))$, and the rule is that the statement after $\therefore$ (the conclusion) must be true whenever all the statements before $\therefore$ (the premises) are true.
ertagon2
So once again this is my homework:
View attachment 7706
If you could please check these answers and help me with Q.9 part 1

Q.8 is just checking if both expressions give the same values right ?
Q.9 part 1 I'm in the blind here
Q.9 part 2 seems logical
Q.10 So if i get this right... for the statement/argument to beright the part before $\therefore$ must give me 1 when $\land$ with part after $\therefore$

This is my truth table for Q.10
https://i.imgur.com/wnthwac.jpg

Attachments

• maths 3.png
    maths 3.png
    20.9 KB · Views: 78
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi ertagon2,

Q8 is correct.

For Q9 part 1, the negation of a statement $\forall x : (\text{something})$ is $\exists x : \neg(\text{something})$. This means that you should have a statement equivalent to

$$\exists x\in D : \neg((x\le0)\vee(x\ge2))$$

One of the choices is indeed equivalent to that statement : do you see which one ?

Q9 part 2 is correct : the negation of $A\wedge B$ is $\neg A\vee\neg B$.

For Q10, if I'm not mistaken, both arguments are correct. The rule is that the statement after $\therefore$ (the conclusion) must be true whenever all the statements before $\therefore$ (the premises) are true. You need only check the lines in which all the premises are true; the other lines should be ignored.

castor28 said:
Hi ertagon2,

Q8 is correct.

For Q9 part 1, the negation of a statement $\forall x : (\text{something})$ is $\exists x : \neg(\text{something})$. This means that you should have a statement equivalent to

$$\exists x\in D : \neg((x\le0)\vee(x\ge2))$$

One of the choices is indeed equivalent to that statement : do you see which one ?

Q9 part 2 is correct : the negation of $A\wedge B$ is $\neg A\vee\neg B$.

For Q10, if I'm not mistaken, both arguments are correct. The rule is that the statement after $\therefore$ (the conclusion) must be true whenever all the statements before $\therefore$ (the premises) are true. You need only check the lines in which all the premises are true; the other lines should be ignored.

Here's the solution for future generations.
View attachment 7710

Attachments

• maths4.png
    maths4.png
    20.7 KB · Views: 71

Related to More Logic statements and arguments

1. What is the difference between a statement and an argument?

A statement is a single sentence that can either be true or false. An argument, on the other hand, is a group of statements where one statement (the conclusion) is supported by the other statements (the premises). An argument is used to persuade or convince someone of the truth of the conclusion.

2. How do you determine if an argument is valid or invalid?

An argument is valid if the conclusion logically follows from the premises. In other words, if the premises are true, then the conclusion must also be true. An argument is invalid if the conclusion does not logically follow from the premises, even if the premises are true.

3. What is a counterexample and how is it used in logic?

A counterexample is an example that disproves a statement or argument. It shows that the statement or argument is not always true, even if it may seem so at first. In logic, counterexamples are used to prove that an argument is invalid or a statement is false.

4. What is the difference between deductive and inductive reasoning?

Deductive reasoning is a type of logical reasoning where the conclusion necessarily follows from the premises. If the premises are true, then the conclusion must also be true. Inductive reasoning, on the other hand, is a type of reasoning where the conclusion is likely to be true based on the evidence or observations. It is not certain, but rather probable.

5. How can I improve my critical thinking skills when evaluating logic statements and arguments?

One way to improve critical thinking skills is to practice analyzing and evaluating different types of arguments and statements. This can include identifying premises and conclusions, determining validity, and finding counterexamples. Additionally, learning logical fallacies and how to spot them can help in evaluating arguments. It is also helpful to approach arguments and statements with an open mind and consider multiple perspectives before coming to a conclusion.