Solve Trig Equation: cosθ=4/9, 3π/2≤θ≤2π

In summary, using the given information cos theta=4/9, where 3pi/2 is less than/equal theta greater than/equal 2pi, and the formula for cos 2 theta, we can find the exact values of sin(theta/2) and cos(theta/2). Simplifying the expressions, the exact value for sin(theta/2)+cos(theta/2) is sq rt 10 - sq rt 26 all over 6.
TonyC
given cos theta=4/9, where 3pi/2 is less than/equal theta greater than/equal 2pi.
Find exact value of sin1/2theta+cos1/2theta

I have come up with sq rt10 + sq rt26 / 6

Just don't have a warm fuzzy

Physics news on Phys.org
Nope, I don't think it's right.
You have:
[tex]\frac{3\pi}{2} \leq \theta \leq 2\pi[/tex]
[tex]\Leftrightarrow \frac{3\pi}{4} \leq \frac{\theta}{2} \leq \pi[/tex]
So [tex]\sin \frac{\theta}{2} > 0[/tex], and [tex]\cos \frac{\theta}{2} < 0[/tex]
You also have:
[tex]\cos(\alpha + \beta) = \cos \alpha \cos \beta - \sin \alpha \sin \beta[/tex]
Therefore:
[tex]\cos 2 \theta = \cos ^ 2 \theta - \sin ^ 2 \theta = 2\cos ^ 2 \theta - 1[/tex]
In other word:
[tex]\cos \theta = \cos ^ 2 \frac{\theta}{2} - \sin ^ 2 \frac{\theta}{2} = 2\cos ^ 2 \frac{\theta}{2} - 1[/tex]
From the equation, you will work out cos(theta / 2). Remember that cos(theta / 2) < 0.
You can then use
[tex]\cos ^ 2 \alpha + \sin ^ 2 \alpha = 1[/tex]
to find out sin(theta / 2). Remember sin(theta / 2) > 0.
Viet Dao,

How would I express that in radical form?

What do you mean?
Have you covered:
[tex]\cos 2 \theta = \cos ^ 2 \theta - \sin ^ 2 \theta = 2\cos ^ 2 \theta - 1 = 1 - 2\sin ^ 2 \theta[/tex] yet?
Viet Dao,

I came up with:
sq rt 10 - sq rt 26 all over 6

Yup, that's correct.
Viet Dao,

What is a trigonometric equation?

A trigonometric equation is an equation that involves trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, and tangent, and an unknown variable. The goal is to solve for the value of the unknown variable.

How do I solve a trigonometric equation?

To solve a trigonometric equation, you can use algebraic manipulation and trigonometric identities to isolate the unknown variable on one side of the equation. You can also use a calculator or a unit circle to find the solutions.

What does cosθ=4/9 mean?

The equation cosθ=4/9 means that the cosine of an angle θ is equal to 4/9. This angle can be any value that makes the cosine function output the value of 4/9.

What is the given restriction 3π/2≤θ≤2π?

The given restriction 3π/2≤θ≤2π means that the angle θ must lie between 3π/2 radians and 2π radians. In degrees, this is equivalent to 270°≤θ≤360°. This restriction helps narrow down the possible solutions to the trigonometric equation.

What are the solutions to the equation cosθ=4/9, 3π/2≤θ≤2π?

The solutions to the equation cosθ=4/9, 3π/2≤θ≤2π are θ=2π/3 and θ=4π/3. These solutions can be found by using a calculator or a unit circle to find the angles that have a cosine value of 4/9 within the given restriction.