How can trigonometric identities be used to simplify complex expressions?

In summary, Metaleer suggests that if you are given some of the trig ratios you should be able to get the angles. For instance, if I were to ask you to find theta if\sin \theta = \frac{1}{2}and 0 ≤ θ < 2π, then you should be able to tell me that\theta = \frac{\pi}{6}, \frac{5\pi}{6}.
zeion

Homework Statement

I need to solve this:

cosx - cos2x + cos3x = 0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The solution shows something like:
(cosx + cos3x) - cos2x

Then using the sum to product on the first group and double angle on the cos2x.

I would know to use double angle identity somewhere, but I would not think of grouping the first 2 things. Just wondering if there's an easier way? Or what kind of mindset or goal should I have to solve something like this? It seems rather arbitrary.
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Remembering that [tex]\cos 2x = 2 \cos^2 x - 1[/tex] and that [tex]\cos 3x = 4 \cos^3 x - 3 \cos x[/tex] (the proofs for these identities are not difficult), your equation becomes

[tex]\cos x - (2 \cos^2 x - 1) + 4 \cos^3 x - 3 \cos x = 0[/tex]​

and you do a substitution, [tex]\cos x = t[/tex] which yields a polynomial equation in [tex]t[/tex], you solve this equation and then you take the inverse of [tex]\cos x[/tex], [tex]\arccos t[/tex] to get your angles.

Metaleer said:
Remembering that [tex]\cos 2x = 2 \cos^2 x - 1[/tex] and that [tex]\cos 3x = 4 \cos^3 x - 3 \cos x[/tex] (the proofs for these identities are not difficult), your equation becomes

[tex]\cos x - (2 \cos^2 x - 1) + 4 \cos^3 x - 3 \cos x = 0[/tex]​

and you do a substitution, [tex]\cos x = t[/tex] which yields a polynomial equation in [tex]t[/tex], you solve this equation and then you take the inverse of [tex]\cos x[/tex], [tex]\arccos t[/tex] to get your angles.

I don't think that's much easier than the solution I posted...
I haven't covered inverse of trig functions yet at this point of the book. Only the major trig identities.

Have a go at it. I just solved it and the results that show up are angles that you need to know by heart.

zeion said:
I don't think that's much easier than the solution I posted...
I haven't covered inverse of trig functions yet at this point of the book. Only the major trig identities.

But if you are given some of the trig ratios you should be able to get the angles. For instance, if I were to ask you to find theta if
[tex]\sin \theta = \frac{1}{2}[/tex]
and 0 ≤ θ < 2π, then you should be able to tell me that
[tex]\theta = \frac{\pi}{6}, \frac{5\pi}{6}[/tex].

BTW, the cubic that Metaleer gave factors pretty easily.

1. What is "More trig jumble to simplify"?

"More trig jumble to simplify" is a phrase used in mathematics to refer to a set of trigonometric expressions that need to be simplified using various trigonometric identities and rules.

2. Why is simplifying trigonometric expressions important?

Simplifying trigonometric expressions helps to make them easier to work with and understand. It also allows for the identification of patterns and relationships between different trigonometric functions.

3. How do I simplify trigonometric expressions?

To simplify trigonometric expressions, you can use various identities and rules such as the Pythagorean identities, double angle formulas, and sum and difference formulas. You can also use algebraic manipulation techniques to simplify expressions.

4. Can simplifying trigonometric expressions be done by hand?

Yes, simplifying trigonometric expressions can be done by hand. It may take more time and effort, but it is a useful skill to have in mathematics. However, there are also online calculators and software programs that can simplify trigonometric expressions for you.

5. Are there any tips for simplifying trigonometric expressions more efficiently?

One tip for simplifying trigonometric expressions more efficiently is to first identify any familiar patterns or identities that can be used. It can also be helpful to break down the expression into smaller parts and simplify them separately before combining them back together. Practice and familiarity with trigonometric identities can also make the process more efficient.