Vectors Help: Solving Two Problems

• Thread starter NIZBIT
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary: A flock of ducks is trying to migrate south for the winter, but they keep being blown off course by a wind blowing from the west at 6.0m/s. A wise elder duck finally realizes that the solution is to fly at an angle to the wind. If the ducks can fly at 8.0m/s relative to the air, what direction should they head in order to move directly south? If the wind is blowing from the west, the ducks should fly at an angle of 8.0 degrees relative to the air in order to move directly south.
NIZBIT
I am stuck on two problems and I keep getting them wrong. Its been a while since I did vectors so I'm a little rusty.

1. Bob walks 200 m south, then jogs 730 m southwest, then walks 200 m in a direction 27.0 degrees east of north. What is the distance and angle?

2. A flock of ducks is trying to migrate south for the winter, but they keep being blown off course by a wind blowing from the west at 6.0m/s. A wise elder duck finally realizes that the solution is to fly at an angle to the wind. If the ducks can fly at 8.0m/s relative to the air, what direction should they head in order to move directly south?

I know these are probably simple, but I'm banging my head on these two. For problem 1, I tried graphically to resolve the vectors using tip to tail but my apporach. Promlem 2 if the wind is blowing from the west so its 6m/s east?

Physics news on Phys.org
NIZBIT said:
I am stuck on two problems and I keep getting them wrong. Its been a while since I did vectors so I'm a little rusty.

1. Bob walks 200 m south, then jogs 730 m southwest, then walks 200 m in a direction 27.0 degrees east of north. What is the distance and angle?

Yes, draw the vectors and everything should be prefectly clear.

NIZBIT said:
2. A flock of ducks is trying to migrate south for the winter, but they keep being blown off course by a wind blowing from the west at 6.0m/s. A wise elder duck finally realizes that the solution is to fly at an angle to the wind. If the ducks can fly at 8.0m/s relative to the air, what direction should they head in order to move directly south?

[tex]\vec{v}_{ducks, total}=\vec{v}_{wind}+\vec{v}_{ducks,relative to wind}[/tex]. The wind vector is known, as is the direction of the final velocity vector of the ducks. Just use the vector equation and the known magnitudes. Solve graphically. :smile:

I'm getting a rounding or sig fig error on #1. For the distance I got 710.7 so 711?

NIZBIT said:

I didn't notice this earlier, but you did not specify in what direction he walks 'east of north'. You can go 'up' or 'down' from there, and depending on that, you get two solutions; one around 800 m, and the other around 1000 m.

1. What are vectors and how are they used to solve problems?

Vectors are mathematical objects that have both magnitude (size) and direction. They are often used in physics and engineering to represent quantities like force, velocity, and displacement. In problem-solving, vectors are used to break down complex problems into simpler components that can be easily solved.

2. How do you add and subtract vectors?

Vectors can be added and subtracted using the parallelogram law. This states that the sum or difference of two vectors can be found by placing them tail-to-tail and drawing a parallelogram with the two vectors as adjacent sides. The diagonal of the parallelogram represents the resultant vector, which is the sum or difference of the two original vectors.

3. Can vectors be multiplied?

Yes, vectors can be multiplied in two ways - scalar multiplication and vector multiplication. Scalar multiplication involves multiplying a vector by a scalar (a number) to change its magnitude, but not its direction. Vector multiplication, on the other hand, results in a new vector with both magnitude and direction that is dependent on the original two vectors.

4. How do you find the magnitude and direction of a vector?

The magnitude of a vector can be found using the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the magnitude (or length) of a vector is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of its components. The direction of a vector can be found using trigonometry, specifically the tangent function, which relates the vector's components to its direction angle.

5. Can vectors be used to solve real-world problems?

Yes, vectors are commonly used to solve real-world problems in fields such as physics, engineering, and navigation. For example, they can be used to calculate the trajectory of a projectile, the forces acting on a structure, or the direction and distance of a ship's journey. Vectors are a powerful tool for problem-solving in many different contexts.