MOSFET KVL Confusion: Finding Vg | Homework Solutions

In summary, this person is trying to solve a homework equation but is confused about how voltages are connected in series. They need to rearrange the equations to get a formula for IR. They also mention that if they need to solve for Vg, they can just use Vx in terms of Vds to get the correct answer.
CoolDude420

Homework Statement

32b1b29d9f.png

b3cee60bd0.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My first attempt was to figure out what region the PMOS is operating in so that I could decide what equation to use - so I tried to find Vgs. Vgs = Vg - Vs. Vs is of course just Vdd but for Vg I did a KVL loop as below:

175cbbd244.png

My only question is. Now what do I do? How do I get rid of the I_2 in my equations for Vg??

Attachments

• 32b1b29d9f.png
    32b1b29d9f.png
    3.3 KB · Views: 961
  • b3cee60bd0.png
    b3cee60bd0.png
    1.8 KB · Views: 1,180
  • 175cbbd244.png
    175cbbd244.png
    73.9 KB · Views: 921
Physics news on Phys.org
Since you don't know ANY of the values, you can only get expressions for any of them in terms of the others.
You can rearrange your two equations !,2 to give a formula for IR, but you could have written that down as a starting equation using Ohm's law.

Since you don't have values for R1 and R2, I think you'd be better off starting from the other end. Sketch the sort of curve you would get, then write expressions for the significant points.

If you notice Vx and VDD are in series, you could set the reference point for voltage to be the junction of drain and R2, then the source voltage just varies from VDD to zero. Vg is always a fixed fraction of Vds.

Merlin3189 said:
Since you don't know ANY of the values, you can only get expressions for any of them in terms of the others.
You can rearrange your two equations !,2 to give a formula for IR, but you could have written that down as a starting equation using Ohm's law.

Since you don't have values for R1 and R2, I think you'd be better off starting from the other end. Sketch the sort of curve you would get, then write expressions for the significant points.

If you notice Vx and VDD are in series, you could set the reference point for voltage to be the junction of drain and R2, then the source voltage just varies from VDD to zero. Vg is always a fixed fraction of Vds.
How exactly are Vdd and Vx in series? I mean they can form 1 loop but how are they in series if there's a transistor drain connected to Vx? I'm just quite confused. Usually KVL get's me out of situations like these.

You can't see they're in series, because your cct (a) is incomplete. It doesn't show where VDD comes from. I just used a cell to symbolise it and complete the cct.
The Earth point is purely arbitrary - simply a reference point for voltages. You could put it anywhere. I just wanted the complete cct to look like the diagrams in the textbooks.
mosfet.png

After you've calculated values in the righthand cct, you can change them back to the LH circuit values by simply adding Vx.

The great thing about this cct is that we can assume Ig=0, so Vg is easy to calculate.in terms of Vds. It doesn't matter what IR is. It will always be the same fraction of Vds. I just would never introduce IR into the plot. It's a red herring.

Edit: Just noticed I missed the g subscript in," we can assume Ig=0, "

Attachments

• mosfet.png
    mosfet.png
    5.6 KB · Views: 1,124
Last edited:
Merlin3189 said:
You can't see they're in series, because your cct (a) is incomplete. It doesn't show where VDD comes from. I just used a cell to symbolise it and complete the cct.
The Earth point is purely arbitrary - simply a reference point for voltages. You could put it anywhere. I just wanted the complete cct to look like the diagrams in the textbooks.
View attachment 231024
After you've calculated values in the righthand cct, you can change them back to the LH circuit values by simply adding Vx.

The great thing about this cct is that we can assume I=0, so Vg is easy to calculate.in terms of Vds. It doesn't matter what IR is. It will always be the same fraction of Vds. I just would never introduce IR into the plot. It's a red herring.
Ah I see. I'll try that now.

1. What is a MOSFET and how does it work?

A MOSFET (Metal-Oxide-Semiconductor Field-Effect Transistor) is a type of transistor that is commonly used in electronic circuits. It works by controlling the flow of current between the source and drain terminals using an electric field produced by a voltage applied to the gate terminal. This allows for precise control of the output current, making MOSFETs useful for amplification and switching applications.

2. What is KVL and how does it apply to MOSFET circuits?

KVL (Kirchhoff's Voltage Law) states that the sum of all voltage drops in a closed loop must equal the sum of all voltage sources in that loop. In MOSFET circuits, KVL is used to analyze the voltage and current relationships between the gate, source, and drain terminals.

3. How do I calculate Vg in a MOSFET circuit using KVL?

To calculate Vg (gate voltage) in a MOSFET circuit using KVL, you need to first identify the closed loop that includes the gate, source, and drain terminals. Then, sum up all the voltage drops within that loop and set it equal to the sum of all voltage sources. Finally, solve for Vg using algebraic manipulation.

4. Why is there confusion when trying to find Vg in MOSFET circuits using KVL?

There can be confusion when trying to find Vg in MOSFET circuits using KVL because KVL assumes that the voltage drop across the gate-source junction is zero, which is not always the case in MOSFET circuits. Additionally, the presence of other circuit elements, such as resistors, can also affect the calculation of Vg.

5. What are some tips for solving KVL problems in MOSFET circuits?

Some tips for solving KVL problems in MOSFET circuits include carefully identifying the closed loop and all voltage drops and sources within that loop, paying attention to the polarity of the voltage drops, and considering the effects of other circuit elements on the calculation of Vg. It can also be helpful to redraw the circuit diagram or break the circuit into smaller sections to make it easier to analyze.