Maximizing Pulling Force with Static Friction

• Thread starter Curieuse
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of pulling a box of sand with a cable without exceeding a tension of 1100 N. The coefficient of static friction between the box and the floor is 0.35. The conversation includes calculations and explanations for determining the optimal angle between the cable and the horizontal to pull the greatest amount of sand, and the corresponding weight of the sand and box in that situation. One method used is finding the maximum value of the left-hand side of the equation cosθ + 0.35sinθ, which gives an angle of 19.3° and a maximum weight of 341.9 kg. Another method suggested is taking the second derivative to confirm the maximum value.
Curieuse

Homework Statement

An initially stationary box of sand is to be pulled across a floor by means of a cable in which the tension should not exceed 1100 N. The coefficient of static friction between the box and the floor is 0.35.
(a) What should be the angle between the cable and the horizontal in order to pull the greatest amount of sand, and
(b) What is the weight of the sand and box in that situation?

Homework Equations

F=ma
fs-max = FNμs

The Attempt at a Solution

Because the block has to move after all,
the applied force's x-component must be greater than the frictional force that will oppose it by acting in the opposite direction with a maximum magnitude as static frictional force max fs-max.
So, T cosθ > μs(mg-T sinθ)
rewrite, T(cosθ + μssinθ)> 3.43 m
Besides 0 < T < 1100 N
So, 0 < T(cosθ + μssinθ) < 1100(T(cosθ + μssinθ))
And if 3.43 m is already lesser than T(cosθ + μssinθ),
It surely is lesser than 1100(T(cosθ + μssinθ))..
rewriting i get,
cosθ + 0.35 sinθ > 3.1*10-3 m------------------------(1)
Here, I got a gut feeling :rofl: and a bit of crooked logic telling me that since the RHS is lesser than the LHS, I should probably be finding the maximum value of the LHS, which would give me the corresponding maximum value for the RHS.
So, I did the maxima for the LHS and got θ=19.3°
this, i resubstituted in (1) to get
m < 341.9 kg.
And so the (a) 19.3°
and (b) weight of the load so (341.9)(9.8)=3.35*103
which tallied with the answers at the back.
BUT is there another method to attack the problem? Is my logic crooked? Any better explanation for the key step where i find θ using maxima? Any advice to tidy up my reasoning in the rest of the solution is also highly welcome! Thanks!

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    7.5 KB · Views: 346
Physics news on Phys.org
looks real good! I guess you could take the second derivative to be sure you have a max and not a min, which maybe you did, as you did not show calcs for determining the angle for max mass.

Yes, @PhantomJay! Thanks!

What is "Most effective Pulling"?

"Most effective Pulling" is a term used to describe the most efficient and successful techniques for pulling or moving objects. It is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and sports.

Why is it important to understand the most effective pulling techniques?

Understanding the most effective pulling techniques is important because it allows us to move objects with less effort and in a more efficient manner. This can save time, energy, and resources. It also helps prevent injuries and damage to the objects being pulled.

What factors affect the effectiveness of pulling?

Several factors can affect the effectiveness of pulling, such as the weight of the object, the surface it is being pulled on, the angle of the pull, and the force being applied. Friction and gravity are also important factors to consider.

How can I determine the most effective pulling technique for a specific object?

The most effective pulling technique for a specific object can be determined by considering the factors that affect pulling and conducting experiments or calculations to determine the optimal angle, force, and surface for pulling. Consulting with experts in the field can also provide valuable insights.

Are there any risks associated with using the most effective pulling techniques?

While using the most effective pulling techniques can reduce the risk of injury and damage, it is important to always follow safety precautions and use proper equipment. It is also important to consider the weight and fragility of the object being pulled and adjust the technique accordingly.