How Can You Calculate the Ball's Speed Inside an Inverted Cone?

In summary, the conversation centers around a ball rolling in a horizontal circle inside an inverted cone with height h. The question asks for the ball's speed in terms of a, h, y, and g. There is confusion about the use of a, which may refer to acceleration. The forces in the y-direction are given as N=mg and in the x-direction as (h-y)sin(theta)=(mv^2)/r. There is a suggestion to fix the force equations for the x-direction by placing the normal force perpendicular to the surface.
abeltyukov
Hi,

There is an inverted cone with height h. There is a ball rolling around inside creating a horizontal circle. The height from the tip of the inverted cone to the ball is y. a is given from the center of the cone to the outer edge.

The question asks to express the ball's speed in terms of a, h, y, and g.

I am confused as to why a is shown from the center of the cone to the edge. Is a in this case the same as acceleration?

I know a = w^2 * r as well as a = (v^2)/r
I have the forces in the y-direction: N = mg
I have the forces in the x-direction: (h-y)sin(theta) = (mv^2)/r

I believe I am screwing up on the x-direction forces. Any suggestions?

Thank you very much,
Alex

Physics news on Phys.org
The normal force is perpendicular to the surface. That's not where you put it in your force equation. That will also help you fix the force equations for X.

Dorothy

Hello Alex,

Thank you for sharing your problem with me. From your description, it seems like you are trying to solve for the speed of the ball as it rolls around in a horizontal circle inside an inverted cone. To answer your question, a in this case is the distance from the center of the cone to the outer edge, also known as the radius. It is not related to acceleration, which is represented by the symbol a in physics equations.

To solve this problem, you can use the equations you mentioned: a = w^2 * r and a = (v^2)/r. However, I believe you may be overthinking it. Since the ball is rolling in a horizontal circle, the only force acting on it in the x-direction is the centripetal force (mv^2)/r. This force is equal to the horizontal component of the weight of the ball, which is (h-y)sin(theta). Therefore, you can set these two equations equal to each other and solve for v, the speed of the ball. This will give you the speed in terms of a, h, y, and g.

I hope this helps you with your problem. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Keep up the good work!

Best,

1. What is motion in a circle problem?

Motion in a circle problem is a physics concept that involves the motion of an object in a circular path. It is characterized by a constant speed and a continuously changing direction.

2. What are the key factors that affect motion in a circle?

The key factors that affect motion in a circle are the object's speed, the radius of the circular path, and the centripetal force acting on the object. These factors determine the object's acceleration and the shape of its circular path.

3. How is centripetal force related to motion in a circle problem?

Centripetal force is the force that acts on an object in motion in a circular path, towards the center of the circle. It is responsible for keeping the object in its circular path and is directly related to the object's speed and the radius of the circle.

4. What is the difference between centripetal force and centrifugal force?

Centripetal force is the force that acts towards the center of a circular path, while centrifugal force is the apparent outward force experienced by an object in motion in a circular path. Centrifugal force is not a real force, but rather a result of the object's inertia.

5. How can motion in a circle be applied in real-life situations?

Motion in a circle has various applications in real-life situations, such as the motion of planets around the sun, the movement of a car around a curve, and the rotation of a merry-go-round. It is also used in sports, such as the motion of a baseball in a curveball pitch or the motion of an ice skater in a spin.