Solving Motion in Springs: A Beginner's Guide

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a particle suspended by a spring and the equation of motion for the particle. The speaker is struggling to start the problem and asks for advice on how to approach it. They are reminded to analyze the forces and consider the sign convention for direction.
craigthecraig
I have no idea where to start with springs,I like to blame my lecturer...
Anyway I have a past paper and there's a question that goes something like this

A particle of mass m hangs freely suspended by a light elastic spring of stiffness k.
In equilibrium, the extension of the spring is d. If x is used to measure the downward displacement of the particle beyond its equilibrium position,show that the equation of motion for the particle is
x+(g/d)x=0 t>0 (The first x is x double dot,or acceleration)

where g is acceleration due to gravity.

It seems like a simple enough problem,I just don't know where to begin.Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Start by analyzing the forces acting on the mass when it is in equilibrium. You will get an expression that will be useful later on in the question.

Then analyze the forces acting on the mass when it is pulled a further distance downward beyond equilibrium position. Use Newton's 2nd Law and take note of your sign convention! Is downward or upward the positive direction? Read the question carefully to determine this!

What is the purpose of solving motion in springs?

The purpose of solving motion in springs is to understand and predict the behavior of objects attached to springs, such as springs in a mattress or a car's suspension system. This can help in designing and improving various mechanical systems.

What are the key principles involved in solving motion in springs?

The key principles involved in solving motion in springs include Hooke's Law, which states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to its displacement; and the conservation of energy, which states that the total energy in a system remains constant.

What are the different types of motion in springs?

The different types of motion in springs include simple harmonic motion, where the object attached to the spring moves back and forth in a regular pattern; damped harmonic motion, where the amplitude of the motion decreases over time due to external forces; and forced harmonic motion, where the spring is affected by an external force, such as a driving force or a damping force.

What are the equations used to solve motion in springs?

The equations used to solve motion in springs include the equation for Hooke's Law (F = -kx), the equation for the period of simple harmonic motion (T = 2π√(m/k)), and the equations for displacement, velocity, and acceleration in simple harmonic motion (x = Acos(ωt), v = -ωAsin(ωt), a = -ω²Acos(ωt)).

What are some practical applications of solving motion in springs?

Solving motion in springs has various practical applications, such as designing and improving mechanical systems like car suspensions, creating musical instruments like guitars and pianos, and understanding the behavior of objects in nature, such as the motion of a leaf on a tree branch or the oscillation of a pendulum.