Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Motion of a lamina

1. Mar 27, 2006 #1
    Hi,

I'm not sure if this mechanics question should be in the Maths forum or the physics forum :confused: Nevertheless, I apologise first if I have posted in the wrong area :frown:

I was wondering if anyone could help me with the following question.

A lamina moves in its own O(x,y) plane. At a certain instant the displacement from one of its points P to another point Q is (-5i+10j). If the velocity of P is (7i-2j) and the velocity of Q has 5 as its x component:

1) What is the angular velocity of the lamina?
    2) What is the velocity of Q?

In my notes I have been given the following equation:

[tex]v_Q[/tex] = [tex]v_P[/tex] + [tex]\\omega\\[/tex] + [tex]\\vec{PQ} [/tex]

I've got the information for velocity of P and the displacement but I'm not sure how to express the velocity of Q in vector format? And how to I find the angular velocity? Is it just rearranging the equation for omega? :confused:

Please help, thanks!

Last edited: Mar 27, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2006 #2

benorin

Homework Helper

the givens are [tex]v_P=7i-2j,\vec{PQ}=-5i+10j[/tex] and of [tex]V_Q[/tex], we know only the x-component, which is 5, so [tex]V_Q=5i+yj[/tex] where y is unknown. I think you mean to put your equation as

[tex]v_Q=v_P+\omega +\vec{PQ}[/tex]

so we have [tex](5i+yj)=(7i-2j)+\omega+(-5i+10j)[/tex]

EDIT: The angular velocity [tex]\omega[/tex] a vector: for it must be.

Are, in fact, [tex]v_Q,v_P[/tex] the velocities of Q and P?

4. Mar 27, 2006 #3
    Oh yeah, sorry I'm terrible at using Latex :redface: Yep thats the equation I meant.

Erm in my notes it says that the vector [tex]\omega[/tex] is = theta (with a dot on the top) k i.e its a vector

Yer [tex]v_Q,v_P[/tex] are the velocities of Q and P.

5. Mar 27, 2006 #4

benorin

Homework Helper

I didn't get the 3-D part until just... well then:

So we should have

[tex](5i+yj+zk)=(7i-2j)+\vec{\omega} +(-5i+10j)[/tex]

where y and z are unknown. Still not enough. You need more equations. Dig.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook