Motion of a Lamina - Mathematics & Physics

In summary, the conversation discusses a mechanics question regarding a lamina's movement in 3-D space. The given information includes the displacement and velocities of two points on the lamina. The question asks for the angular velocity and velocity of one of the points. A provided equation is used to solve for the unknown variables, including the angular velocity which is represented as a vector. More equations are needed to find the full solution.
elle
Hi,

I'm not sure if this mechanics question should be in the Maths forum or the physics forum :confused: Nevertheless, I apologise first if I have posted in the wrong area :frown:

I was wondering if anyone could help me with the following question.

A lamina moves in its own O(x,y) plane. At a certain instant the displacement from one of its points P to another point Q is (-5i+10j). If the velocity of P is (7i-2j) and the velocity of Q has 5 as its x component:

1) What is the angular velocity of the lamina?
2) What is the velocity of Q?

In my notes I have been given the following equation:

[tex]v_Q[/tex] = [tex]v_P[/tex] + [tex]\\omega\\[/tex] + [tex]\\vec{PQ} [/tex]

I've got the information for velocity of P and the displacement but I'm not sure how to express the velocity of Q in vector format? And how to I find the angular velocity? Is it just rearranging the equation for omega? :confused:

Please help, thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
the givens are [tex]v_P=7i-2j,\vec{PQ}=-5i+10j[/tex] and of [tex]V_Q[/tex], we know only the x-component, which is 5, so [tex]V_Q=5i+yj[/tex] where y is unknown. I think you mean to put your equation as

[tex]v_Q=v_P+\omega +\vec{PQ}[/tex]

so we have [tex](5i+yj)=(7i-2j)+\omega+(-5i+10j)[/tex]

EDIT: The angular velocity [tex]\omega[/tex] a vector: for it must be.

Are, in fact, [tex]v_Q,v_P[/tex] the velocities of Q and P?

Last edited:
Oh yeah, sorry I'm terrible at using Latex :redface: Yep that's the equation I meant.

Erm in my notes it says that the vector [tex]\omega[/tex] is = theta (with a dot on the top) k i.e its a vector

Yer [tex]v_Q,v_P[/tex] are the velocities of Q and P.

Last edited:
I didn't get the 3-D part until just... well then:

So we should have

[tex](5i+yj+zk)=(7i-2j)+\vec{\omega} +(-5i+10j)[/tex]

where y and z are unknown. Still not enough. You need more equations. Dig.

1. What is the definition of motion of a lamina?

Motion of a lamina refers to the movement of a thin, flat sheet of material in a specified direction or path.

2. How is the motion of a lamina different from the motion of a solid object?

The main difference between the motion of a lamina and a solid object is that a lamina is a two-dimensional object, while a solid object is three-dimensional. This means that the motion of a lamina is confined to a plane, while the motion of a solid object can occur in all three dimensions.

3. What are the factors that affect the motion of a lamina?

The motion of a lamina can be affected by various factors, such as the shape and size of the lamina, the forces acting on it, and any external constraints or obstacles.

4. How is the motion of a lamina described mathematically?

The motion of a lamina can be described using mathematical equations, such as those from the field of kinematics. These equations take into account factors such as velocity, acceleration, and displacement to describe the motion of the lamina.

5. Why is understanding the motion of a lamina important?

Understanding the motion of a lamina is important in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and material science. It can help in predicting and analyzing the behavior of thin materials under different conditions, and can also aid in the design and development of products and structures that utilize laminar motion.