Motion of a mass of air around Earth.

In summary, the person is struggling with a physics problem that requires using equations for a 2-D polar coordinate system. They are unsure if these equations are the only ones needed and are unsure how to approach part c of the problem. They were able to figure out parts a and b and later found out that the professor only covered the necessary coordinates during office hours.
Ascendant78

Homework Statement

Screen_Shot004.jpg

Homework Equations

Screen_Shot005.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

For starters, I am a bit confused about how to work on this problem considering the only relevant equations given for this problem (in the chapter we are currently in) are the two equations for Fr and Fφ for a 2-D polar coordinate system. I'm not sure if I should assume there are no other forces and as such use these two as a general solution, but if I do so, I am at a loss as to how to go about addressing c)?

Physics news on Phys.org
How did you address a and b?

I figured it out. Thank you for asking though. The coordinates our professor wanted us to use weren't even in that section. Apparently, this is something he only covered during office hours and forgot to mention in class. Gotta love physics professors, lol.

1. What causes the motion of air around Earth?

The motion of air around Earth is primarily caused by differences in air pressure. The uneven heating of the Earth's surface by the sun creates areas of high and low pressure, which causes air to move from areas of high pressure to areas of low pressure.

2. How does the Coriolis effect impact the motion of air around Earth?

The Coriolis effect is a result of Earth's rotation and it causes air to be deflected to the right in the Northern Hemisphere and to the left in the Southern Hemisphere. This deflection influences the direction of air flow and can create large-scale global wind patterns.

3. What role do temperature and humidity play in air motion around Earth?

Temperature and humidity play a significant role in air motion around Earth. Warm air is less dense and tends to rise, while cooler air is more dense and tends to sink. This creates convection currents, which contribute to the overall movement of air. Humidity also affects air density, as humid air is less dense than dry air.

4. How do mountain ranges impact air motion around Earth?

Mountain ranges can greatly influence air motion around Earth. As air approaches a mountain, it is forced to rise, causing it to cool and form clouds and precipitation. On the other side of the mountain, the air sinks and warms, leading to dry, clear conditions. This process, known as orographic lifting, can create distinct wind patterns and weather conditions on either side of a mountain range.

5. What are the different types of winds and how are they formed?

There are several types of winds that contribute to the motion of air around Earth. Trade winds are formed by the Earth's rotation and the Coriolis effect and blow from east to west near the equator. Prevailing westerlies are strong winds that blow from west to east in the middle latitudes. Polar easterlies are cold, dry winds that blow from east to west near the poles. Other types of winds include monsoons, sea breezes, and land breezes, which are all influenced by differences in air pressure caused by temperature differences on land and water.