Does Raising My Arm Change the Center of Mass?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of shifting the center of mass and the role of external and internal forces in this process. It is also mentioned that the center of mass will not accelerate without an external force acting on the system. The conversation also explores the scenario of being in deep space and the implications on the center of mass when lifting an arm. It is concluded that in deep space, the center of mass remains fixed unless acted upon by an external force, and movements of the body can affect its orientation.
Physics guy
Let me imagine myself standing on the Earth with my arm in the resting position perpendicular to the ground. Now if I decide to raise my right arm by 90 degrees, now that it is parallel to the ground. I have shifted my center of mass in this process. But the center of mass will not accelerate unless there is an external force on the system. I can only think of internal force that is acting, in this case is the force exerted by my muscles. Is my understanding flawed somewhere?

Physics news on Phys.org
Physics guy said:
Summary:: Acceleration of center of mass when there is no external force

Let me imagine myself standing on the Earth with my arm in the resting position perpendicular to the ground. Now if I decide to raise my right arm by 90 degrees, now that it is parallel to the ground. I have shifted my center of mass in this process. But the center of mass will not accelerate unless there is an external force on the system. I can only think of internal force that is acting, in this case is the force exerted by my muscles. Is my understanding flawed somewhere?
There is an external force on your feet from the Earth. That's how you are able to walk.

Likes Vanadium 50 and Dale
PeroK said:
There is an external force on your feet from the Earth. That's how you are able to walk.
Well this isn't a question of walking or the normal force from the ground. Okay let us suppose that instead of in Earth I am in deep space and I lift my arm. Then in this case what is the external force which shift my center of mass.

Physics guy said:
Try to do it on a skate board, while holding some weight in your hand (for better effect).

Physics guy said:
Well this isn't a question of walking or the normal force from the ground.
The feet also transmit frictional forces.

Physics guy said:
Okay let us suppose that instead of in Earth I am in deep space and I lift my arm. Then in this case what is the external force which shift my center of mass.
Your center of mass will not shift in this case.

A.T. said:
Try to do it on a skate board, while holding some weight in your hand (for better effect).
So does that mean that I will shift to the left when I raise my right arm.

Physics guy said:
Well this isn't a question of walking or the normal force from the ground. Okay let us suppose that instead of in Earth I am in deep space and I lift my arm. Then in this case what is the external force which shift my center of mass.
If you are in deep space and you move your arm, then the rest of your body will move in the opposite direction. Newton's third law.

Physics guy said:
So does that mean that I will shift to the left when I raise my right arm.
Yes, the rest of your body will also change orientation a bit.

In deep space, with no external influence, the CoM stays in the same place. You might be able to move your body around it, but it remains fixed.

Likes Physics guy

1. What is the center of mass?

The center of mass is the point at which an object's mass is evenly distributed in all directions. It is the point where the object will balance perfectly, regardless of its orientation.

2. How does raising my arm affect the center of mass?

When you raise your arm, you are moving a portion of your body's mass to a higher position. This will cause a shift in the center of mass, as the overall distribution of mass in your body has changed.

3. Does the center of mass change for every movement?

Yes, the center of mass is constantly changing as you move your body. Any time you move a part of your body to a different position, the distribution of mass will change, and therefore the center of mass will also change.

4. How does the center of mass affect balance?

The center of mass is directly related to balance. When your center of mass is over your base of support, you will be able to maintain your balance. However, if your center of mass falls outside of your base of support, you will lose your balance.

5. Can I change my center of mass by moving other parts of my body?

Yes, you can change your center of mass by moving any part of your body. For example, if you lean forward, your center of mass will shift forward. This is why certain movements, such as bending over, can affect your balance.