Find Integrals of Motion for Particle in Magnetic Dipole Field

In summary, to find the first integrals of motion for a particle with mass m and charge q in a magnetic field with vector potential A and scalar potential \Phi=0, you can use cylindrical coordinates and Lagrangian mechanics. The magnetic dipole \vec{m}_d is a given vector and does not need to be manipulated, and the scalar potential being zero clarifies the conditions of the problem.
Mumba
Find the fi rst integrals of motion for a particle of mass m and charge q in a magnetic field given by the vector potential (scalar potential [tex]\Phi[/tex]= 0)

(i) of a constant magnetic dipole [tex]m_{d}[/tex]

[tex]A=\frac{\mu_{0}}{4 pi}\frac{m_{d} \times r}{r^{3}}[/tex]

Hint: Cylindrical coordinates are useful.

I think what i should do is to compute A for cylindrical coordinate system and then use Lagrangian mechanics to get a equation of motion? Is this correct? (we have the charge q given, so we can use the kinetic engergy?)

I tried to compute A but i don't really understand what to do with the magnetic dipole (as a vector)? Whats the story whith that scalar potential?

Thanks for your help,
Mumba

Physics news on Phys.org
Mumba said:
I think what i should do is to compute A for cylindrical coordinate system and then use Lagrangian mechanics to get a equation of motion? Is this correct? (we have the charge q given, so we can use the kinetic engergy?)
That would probably be my first thought as well. But I wouldn't write A in cylindrical coordinates just yet. Try to go as far as you can without expressing it in any particular coordinate system.
Mumba said:
I tried to compute A but i don't really understand what to do with the magnetic dipole (as a vector)? Whats the story whith that scalar potential?
[itex]\vec{m}_d[/itex] is just a given vector. You don't really do anything with it, except carry it through the calculation. And I think they just tell you that the scalar potential is zero to clarify the conditions of the problem... I can't imagine why you would think that the scalar potential would be nonzero, unless you were specifically told so.

Hi Thanks for the answer.

But i can't go very far without a coordinate system, can I?
I mean, using cyl. coordinates, my degrees of freedom would be just R and [tex]\Theta[/tex].

So i can get the components of r=(Rcos[tex]\Theta[/tex], Rsin[tex]\Theta[/tex], z), where the z-axis is pointing upwards and [tex]\Theta[/tex] the angle between the x-axis (pointing towards you) and R.

What can i do with [tex]m_{d}[/tex]? Should be a vector so i can't really just set it on the origin?! Can i give it an arbitrary direction, say [tex]m_{d}=(m_{d},0,0)[/tex]?

Thanks,
Mumba

1. What is a magnetic dipole field?

A magnetic dipole field is a type of magnetic field that is created by a dipole, which consists of two poles with opposite magnetic charges. This type of field is commonly seen in bar magnets, where one end is a north pole and the other end is a south pole.

2. How does a particle interact with a magnetic dipole field?

A charged particle will experience a force when moving through a magnetic dipole field. The direction of this force is perpendicular to both the direction of the particle's velocity and the direction of the magnetic field lines.

3. What are integrals of motion in the context of a particle in a magnetic dipole field?

Integrals of motion are physical quantities that remain constant during the motion of a particle in a magnetic dipole field. These quantities can include the particle's energy, momentum, and angular momentum.

4. How do you find integrals of motion for a particle in a magnetic dipole field?

The integrals of motion for a particle in a magnetic dipole field can be found by using the Hamiltonian equations of motion. These equations relate the time derivatives of the integrals of motion to the particle's coordinates and velocities.

5. Why are integrals of motion important in understanding the motion of a particle in a magnetic dipole field?

Integrals of motion can provide valuable insights into the behavior of a particle in a magnetic dipole field. They can help us understand the conservation of certain physical quantities during the motion, and can also be used to predict and analyze the trajectory of the particle.