1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Motion of charged particle in magnitc field given by potential of magnetic dipole

1. Jan 2, 2010 #1
    Find the fi rst integrals of motion for a particle of mass m and charge q in a magnetic field given by the vector potential (scalar potential [tex]\Phi[/tex]= 0)

(i) of a constant magnetic dipole [tex]m_{d}[/tex]

[tex]A=\frac{\mu_{0}}{4 pi}\frac{m_{d} \times r}{r^{3}}[/tex]

Hint: Cylindrical coordinates are useful.

I think what i should do is to compute A for cylindrical coordinate system and then use Lagrangian mechanics to get a equation of motion? Is this correct? (we have the charge q given, so we can use the kinetic engergy?)

I tried to compute A but i dont really understand what to do with the magnetic dipole (as a vector)? Whats the story whith that scalar potential?

Thanks for your help,
    Mumba
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 2, 2010 #2

diazona

Homework Helper

That would probably be my first thought as well. But I wouldn't write A in cylindrical coordinates just yet. Try to go as far as you can without expressing it in any particular coordinate system.
    [itex]\vec{m}_d[/itex] is just a given vector. You don't really do anything with it, except carry it through the calculation. And I think they just tell you that the scalar potential is zero to clarify the conditions of the problem... I can't imagine why you would think that the scalar potential would be nonzero, unless you were specifically told so.

4. Jan 3, 2010 #3
    Hi Thanks for the answer.

But i cant go very far without a coordinate system, can I?
    I mean, using cyl. coordinates, my degrees of freedom would be just R and [tex]\Theta[/tex].

So i can get the components of r=(Rcos[tex]\Theta[/tex], Rsin[tex]\Theta[/tex], z), where the z-axis is pointing upwards and [tex]\Theta[/tex] the angle between the x-axis (pointing towards you) and R.

What can i do with [tex]m_{d}[/tex]? Should be a vector so i cant really just set it on the origin?! Can i give it an arbitrary direction, say [tex]m_{d}=(m_{d},0,0)[/tex]?

Thanks,
    Mumba

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook