How Can the Slope of an Incline Plane Affect the Motion of a Rolling Object?

In summary: X = -4.33 - 2.5t Y = 10.0 - 4.33t In summary, the snowball strikes the ground 4.33 meters from the house horizontally.
erok81

Homework Statement

A snowball rolls off a roll that has a slope of 30* from the horizontal with a speed of 5.0 m/s. The edge of the roof is 10m above the ground. How far from the house (horizontally) does the snowball strike the ground?

Homework Equations

I'm using one of the kinematic equations - [tex]s_f=s_i+v_i t+1/2a(t)^2[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I need solve for both x and y planes. Solving for t on the y-axis gives me 3.016s to the ground.

Then plugging that in and using the same equation but solving for [tex]s_f[/tex]...I get the wrong answer.

I know the angle of the roof the snowball falls from comes into play, but I don't know how. I thought it had something to do with the original position, but it doesn't. The only thing we've learned about inclined planes is their effect on gravity. Which doesn't apply to this problem.

Any pointers on how that roof slope comes into play?

Physics news on Phys.org
erok81 said:

Homework Statement

A snowball rolls off a roll that has a slope of 30* from the horizontal with a speed of 5.0 m/s. The edge of the roof is 10m above the ground. How far from the house (horizontally) does the snowball strike the ground?

Homework Equations

I'm using one of the kinematic equations - [tex]s_f=s_i+v_i t+1/2a(t)^2[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I need solve for both x and y planes. Solving for t on the y-axis gives me 3.016s to the ground.

Then plugging that in and using the same equation but solving for [tex]s_f[/tex]...I get the wrong answer.

I know the angle of the roof the snowball falls from comes into play, but I don't know how. I thought it had something to do with the original position, but it doesn't. The only thing we've learned about inclined planes is their effect on gravity. Which doesn't apply to this problem.

Any pointers on how that roof slope comes into play?

Well, what you need to do is to use two of your kinematic equations. One for the horizontal direction and one for the vertical direction. You assume that the acceleration in the horizontal direction is zero (neglect air resistance). and take the vertical acceleration to be the acceleration of gravity. You will need the initial velocities in the horizontal and vertical directions. You get these from the slope of the roof and the velocity with which the ball leaves the roof. (Use a little trig to figure those out).

That should get you started.

Ooooh I think I get it. I was using 5.0 m/s as the initial velocity for both directions. But it isn't...at least I think it isn't.

So initial velocity is 2.5 downward and 4.33 horizontally.

Is that what you were referring to?

Ok...any more hints?

I tried it that way and am still wrong.

erok81 said:
Ooooh I think I get it. I was using 5.0 m/s as the initial velocity for both directions. But it isn't...at least I think it isn't.

So initial velocity is 2.5 downward and 4.33 horizontally.

Is that what you were referring to?

That is what I was referring to. Your values for the initial velocity components are correct. I would place the origin of my coordinate system either at the point on the roof where the ball leaves the roof, or directly under it on the ground. Now write two equations:

[tex] X = X_0 + V_{0x} t [/tex]

and

[tex] Y = Y_0 + V_{0y}t - \frac{1}{2} g t^2 [/tex]

Don't forget to put in the proper sign for your initial velocities.

You can eliminate the t variable and solve for the unknown that you want.

1. What is motion on an incline plane?

Motion on an incline plane refers to the movement of an object on a sloped surface, where the force of gravity and the angle of the incline affect the object's motion.

2. How does the angle of the incline affect the motion?

The angle of the incline affects the motion by changing the component of the force of gravity acting on the object. A steeper incline will have a greater effect on the motion of the object compared to a gentler incline.

3. What is the relationship between the angle of the incline and the acceleration of the object?

The acceleration of an object on an incline plane is directly proportional to the sine of the angle of the incline. This means that as the angle increases, so does the acceleration of the object.

4. How does the mass of the object affect its motion on an incline plane?

The mass of the object does not affect its motion on an incline plane as long as there is no external force acting on it. This is because the force of gravity is directly proportional to the mass, so the acceleration of the object remains the same regardless of its mass.

5. What is the difference between motion on an incline plane and motion on a flat surface?

The main difference is that on an incline plane, the force of gravity has a component that is parallel to the surface and affects the motion of the object. On a flat surface, the force of gravity acts perpendicular to the surface and does not affect the motion of the object.