Solving a Physics Question: Truck vs Car at the Lights

In summary, the question asks for the closest distance between a truck and a car that are approaching a stoplight at different speeds. To solve this, a position-time graph was drawn and the equation for the truck's position was determined. Using this equation, it was found that the truck arrives at the lights when t=4.20s, and the car is 25m away from the lights at this time. The car reaches its final velocity 1450m away from the lights, about 32.5 seconds after the light turns green. To find the closest distance between the truck and car, we need to calculate the distance of the accelerating car when it reaches a velocity equal to the truck's. Using the equation v=at,
pulau_tiga
Hello,

I'm having some difficulty in a physics question.

The question is:
To save fuel, some truck drivers try to maintain a constant speed when possible. A truck traveling at 81.0 km/h approaches a car stopped at the red light. When the truck is 94.6 meters from the car the light turns green and the car immediately begins to accelerate at 2.80 m/s^2 to a final speed of 117.0 km/hr. How close does the truck come to the car assuming the truck does not slow down? How far from the stop light has the car traveled when the truck reaches its closest distance?

My answer so far:
First thing I did, I drew a position time graph with the car beginning its acceleration at the origin and the origin being when the light turns green. The truck's constant speed intercepts the position axis at -94.6 m.

Truck arrives at the lights: when t = 4.20 s
(The Eqn of the truck is y = 22.5x - 94.6)
Therefore the car is 25 m away from the lights when the truck arrives at the lights. (d = 1/2at^2)

The car reaches its final velocity (17.0 km/h or 32.5 m/s) 1450 m away from the lights. Or about 32.5 seconds after the light turns green.

I'm not sure on how to figure out how close the car gets. I started a table and calculated when each vehicle was at different time points, but this is getting time consuming and I am sure there is a simpler way.

Thanks for the assistance, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
**Correction: The car reaches its final velocity when it is 1480 m away from the lights. (not 1450 m)

pulau_tiga said:
Hello,

I'm having some difficulty in a physics question.

The question is:
To save fuel, some truck drivers try to maintain a constant speed when possible. A truck traveling at 81.0 km/h approaches a car stopped at the red light. When the truck is 94.6 meters from the car the light turns green and the car immediately begins to accelerate at 2.80 m/s^2 to a final speed of 117.0 km/hr. How close does the truck come to the car assuming the truck does not slow down? How far from the stop light has the car traveled when the truck reaches its closest distance?

My answer so far:
First thing I did, I drew a position time graph with the car beginning its acceleration at the origin and the origin being when the light turns green. The truck's constant speed intercepts the position axis at -94.6 m.

Truck arrives at the lights: when t = 4.20 s
(The Eqn of the truck is y = 22.5x - 94.6)
Therefore the car is 25 m away from the lights when the truck arrives at the lights. (d = 1/2at^2)

The car reaches its final velocity (17.0 km/h or 32.5 m/s) 1450 m away from the lights. Or about 32.5 seconds after the light turns green.

I'm not sure on how to figure out how close the car gets. I started a table and calculated when each vehicle was at different time points, but this is getting time consuming and I am sure there is a simpler way.

Thanks for the assistance, any help would be greatly appreciated.

I think you need to calculate the distance of the accelerating car when it reaches a velocity that is equal to that of the truck. v =at so we get for this the following : for the car : 22.5(in meter per seconds)=2.8*t so t = 8. Now suppose the car starts in x = 0 then the distance after 8 seconds is via
x = at²/2 : x = 89.6 meters.

In eight seconds the truck does x = vt : x = 180 meters starting from where the truck was when the car was at rest. So 94.6 meters behind the car. from the zero-point (the point where the car started to move) the truck has done a distance of 180 - 94.5 = 85.5 meters and the car has done 89.6 meters so the closest distance must be 89.6 - 85.5 = 4.1 meters.

this is the closest distance because after the eight seconds the car will have a velocity that exceeds the one of the truck, thus the car will drive away from the truck...

marlon

Likes PaperAirplane
Thank you so much, Marlon.
It was greatly appreciated.

pulau_tiga said:
Thank you so much, Marlon.
It was greatly appreciated.

My pleasure...keep on asking if you wish...

marlonissimo

1. What are the variables involved in solving a physics question about a truck and car at the lights?

The variables involved in this scenario include the mass of the truck and car, the acceleration of the vehicles, the distance between the vehicles, and the reaction time of the drivers.

2. How do you calculate the force of impact between a truck and car at the lights?

To calculate the force of impact, you would need to use the formula F=ma, where F is the force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration. You would also need to consider the distance between the vehicles and the reaction time of the drivers to determine the force of impact.

3. Can you use Newton's laws of motion to solve this type of physics question?

Yes, Newton's laws of motion can be applied to solve this type of physics question. The first law states that an object at rest will stay at rest and an object in motion will stay in motion unless acted upon by an external force. The second law states that the force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. And the third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

4. How do you factor in the reaction time of the drivers in this scenario?

The reaction time of the drivers can be factored in by using the formula d=vt, where d is the distance, v is the velocity, and t is the time. The reaction time would be included in the time variable, and it would affect the overall distance between the vehicles and the force of impact.

5. What other factors should be considered when solving a physics question about a truck and car at the lights?

Other factors that should be considered include the speed and direction of the vehicles, the road conditions, and the type and size of the vehicles. The angle of impact and any external forces, such as wind or friction, should also be taken into account.