1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Motor run as a circuit element?

1. May 29, 2007 #1
    Can you convert simple current in a wire to mechanical energy with a motor? What type of equipment would this require.

2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2007 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I'm not sure what you mean - that's what a motor is for.

4. May 29, 2007 #3
    Sorry I was unclear. Is there a particular type of motor that converts current into mechanical energy without using magnetic materials?

5. May 29, 2007 #4
    actually nevermind, let me think it through more thoroughly and decide exactly what i'm looking for.

6. May 30, 2007 #5
    Most electric motors use some magnetic phenomenon to work. Remember that any current through a wire generates a magnetic field, so it's not something easily neglectable. There are motors out there with very good magnetic shielding, however.

7. May 30, 2007 #6

Danger

Gold Member

I think that Neal might be asking if it's possible to build a motor that doesn't include permanant magnets. If so, the answer is yes.

8. May 30, 2007 #7
    Basically to put it more clearly, I want something that I can connect to a current carrying wire that will create traslational motion, like a move a small cart of wheels.

9. May 30, 2007 #8

Danger

Gold Member

Okay, then... I think that you are basically looking for a linear-induction motor. They don't just follow along a wire, though. There are magnets and polarity-switching involved.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?