Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Motor run as a circuit element?

1. May 29, 2007 #1
    Can you convert simple current in a wire to mechanical energy with a motor? What type of equipment would this require.
  2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2007 #2

Staff: Mentor

I'm not sure what you mean - that's what a motor is for.
  4. May 29, 2007 #3
    Sorry I was unclear. Is there a particular type of motor that converts current into mechanical energy without using magnetic materials?
  5. May 29, 2007 #4
    actually nevermind, let me think it through more thoroughly and decide exactly what i'm looking for.
  6. May 30, 2007 #5
    Most electric motors use some magnetic phenomenon to work. Remember that any current through a wire generates a magnetic field, so it's not something easily neglectable. There are motors out there with very good magnetic shielding, however.
  7. May 30, 2007 #6

Gold Member

I think that Neal might be asking if it's possible to build a motor that doesn't include permanant magnets. If so, the answer is yes.
  8. May 30, 2007 #7
    Basically to put it more clearly, I want something that I can connect to a current carrying wire that will create traslational motion, like a move a small cart of wheels.
  9. May 30, 2007 #8

Gold Member

Okay, then... I think that you are basically looking for a linear-induction motor. They don't just follow along a wire, though. There are magnets and polarity-switching involved.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?