Movable pulley and two connected particles on horizontal tables

In summary, the conversation discusses the equilibrium of two particles connected by a string and a hanging pulley. It is shown that in order for both particles to remain stationary, the mass of the hanging pulley must be equal to or less than 6 kg. Further analysis is done to determine the maximum tension that each particle can support before moving. It is concluded that the tension must be equal to or less than the limiting friction for the particles to remain stationary.
Woolyabyss

Homework Statement

Two particles of masses 6 kg and 8 kg rest on two horizontal tables.The coefficient of friction between both particles and their respective tables is (1/2).The particles are connected by a smooth inextensible string which passes over smooth pulleys and under a smooth movable pulley of mass M kg

Show that none of the particles will move if M is less than or equal to 6

Homework Equations

F=MA

The Attempt at a Solution

t = Tension
a = acceleration of 6 kg particle
b = acceleration of 8 kg particle

for the six kg particle 3g - t = 6a
a = (3g - t)/6

for the eight kg particle 4g - t = 8b
b = (4g-t)/8

for pulley M

2t -Mg = M(a+b)/2

4t -2Mg = M(3g-t)/6 + M(4g-t)/8

96t -48Mg = 4M(3g-t) + 3M(4g -t) multiplied my 24...

96t = 48Mg + 12Mg -4Mt + 12Mg - 3Mt

96t + 7Mt = 72Mg

t(96 + 7M)= 72Mg

t = 72Mg / (96 + 7M)

Since its not accelerating

2t - Mg = (3g - t) + (4g -t) Sum of the forces are equal

4t= Mg + 7g

288Mg = (Mg + 7g)(96 + 7M) Substituting value for t

288Mg = 96Mg + 672g +7Mg^2 + 49Mg

7Mg^2 - 143Mg +672g = 0

68.6M^2 - 1401.4M + 6585.6

When I use the minus b formula i get M = 13.1 and 7.32
I'm convinced I've done this completely wrong.I was hoping I would get a solution of M = 6.
Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Keep it simple.

What's the maximum amount of tension that the 6 kg particle can support before it begins to move? Assuming everything is in equilibrium, what would the mass of the hanging pulley have to be to create that tension? Can the other mass support that tension without moving?

Do a similar analysis for the 8 kg particle.

Doc Al said:
Keep it simple.

What's the maximum amount of tension that the 6 kg particle can support before it begins to move? Assuming everything is in equilibrium, what would the mass of the hanging pulley have to be to create that tension? Can the other mass support that tension without moving?

Since the limiting friction of the 6 kg particle is 3g would that not mean that the tension would have to be 3g? Also would that mean the tension in the 8 kg particle would be 4g?.I thought since its the same wire it would have to have the same tension every where?

Doc Al said:
Keep it simple.

I think I get it now.Since the tension is split between the two sides of the wire of the pulley would it have to be to be 6 since 6g/2 = 3g
which would mean the 6kg particle wouldn't move because the tension is just enough to cancel out the limiting friction... 3g -3g = 0 N
and the 8kg particle also wouldn't move since the tension is less than the limiting friction 4g - 3g = g N

Woolyabyss said:
I think I get it now.Since the tension is split between the two sides of the wire of the pulley would it have to be to be 6 since 6g/2 = 3g
which would mean the 6kg particle wouldn't move because the tension is just enough to cancel out the limiting friction... 3g -3g = 0 N
and the 8kg particle also wouldn't move since the tension is less than the limiting friction 4g - 3g = g N
Exactly. And if the mass of the pulley were greater than 6 kg, there could not be equilibrium.

Alright, thanks for the help.

1. What is a movable pulley?

A movable pulley is a type of pulley that can be moved along the rope or cable it is attached to. It is often used in combination with other pulleys to create a mechanical advantage, making it easier to lift heavy objects.

2. How does a movable pulley work?

A movable pulley works by changing the direction of the force needed to lift an object. Instead of pulling straight up on the rope, the force is redirected by the pulley, making it easier to lift the object.

3. What are the advantages of using a movable pulley?

The main advantage of using a movable pulley is that it reduces the amount of force needed to lift an object. This is especially useful when lifting heavy objects or when a person does not have a lot of strength.

4. How are two connected particles on horizontal tables affected by a movable pulley?

When using a movable pulley with two connected particles on horizontal tables, the weight of the particles is distributed between the two pulleys. This reduces the overall weight each particle needs to lift, making it easier for them to move.

5. Are there any limitations to using a movable pulley?

One limitation of using a movable pulley is that it does not change the amount of work needed to lift an object. While it reduces the force required, the same amount of work is still needed to lift the object to the desired height. Additionally, the pulley system must be well-designed and maintained in order to work effectively.