Moving 4 items attached on shafts

• Thread starter Blad9
  • Start date
In summary: There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question. You would need to consult with a manufacturer or someone with experience in creating motor driven gear systems for this type of application.In summary, you will need to use bearing to support the shafts, and make four rotations to complete the movement. The amount of load and environment will determine how you do the movement. You will need to consult with a manufacturer or someone with experience in creating motor driven gear systems to complete the movement.
Blad9
I’m not sure if this is the right place to post, I hope it is. I’m a mechanical student and don’t have a lot of experience on how to move objects (yet). For a project I have to move 4 items which are attached on shafts. I would like to be able to move those items 180 degrees inside and back outside. Picture:

2dkabme.jpg

The items weight about 50kg each.

How should I do this with bearings?
How should I make those rotations? With 4 stepper motors or pinions or…?

Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You will surely need to provide bearing for the four shafts. The bearings have to both support the shafts and also allow them to turn.

As to how to cause the four rotations, that is a bit more indefinite. There are many ways, and you have not specified enough information. Will there be resistance to being turned? Must they all turn together? Is this to be a precision turn, or is the angle only approximate? How fast must the turn be made? Must the arms stop at the end of the turn, or do they continue to travel?

You could consider a single motor drive with a belt and four pulleys, for example, if that will give the performance that you need. You could devise a mechanism linking all four to turn together is that is required for precision. You could devise a gear drive. There are many possibilities, but you need to look at the rest of your requirements in order to choose.

The four items will be in position 1. They will have to be able to move 180 degrees to position 2 and wait. There will be a load on them, after that they will move back from position 2 to position 1 while their still is a load on the items. Picture:

w9wtue.jpg

Looks like you may have a kinematic interference problem to deal with also. You better check your dimensions to see if that is a problem or not. Your Fig 2 suggests that you cannot simply open out the flippers without the opposite ends engaging.

True, in this picture. But it's just a quick drawing I made to explain the situation.

Basically it's like this, to make it more clear:

o9myb6.jpg

Any tips guys?

Last edited:
How to drive these flaps depends on a number of things that you have not identified as yet. What is the source of the load? What is the environment for the whole assembly? What are the capabilities of your shop?

You mentioned stepper motors as a possibility, and indeed they may be, depending on the amount of load that they have to work against. Other possibilities include a variety of motor driven gear systems, motor driven belt systems, etc.

The load will be about 30 kg on every item. Normal environment. During the ingoing movement there will be nothing on the items, so no load. Then a load will be putted on them and a few seconds afterwards they will have to move outwards again.

But how should I assemble those motor driven gear/belt systems?

FAQ: Moving 4 items attached on shafts

1. How do you determine the force needed to move four items attached on shafts?

The force needed to move four items attached on shafts can be calculated by using the formula F = ma, where F is the force in Newtons, m is the mass of the four items and a is the acceleration required. You will also need to consider factors such as friction and the weight distribution of the items.

2. What is the best way to distribute the weight of the items on the shafts?

The best way to distribute the weight of the items on the shafts is to evenly distribute the weight across all four items. This will help to decrease the amount of force needed to move the items and prevent any one item from bearing too much weight.

3. How does the diameter of the shafts affect the movement of the items?

The diameter of the shafts can greatly affect the movement of the items. A larger diameter will provide more surface area for the items to move on, reducing friction and making it easier to move the items. However, a larger diameter may also require more force to move the items due to the increased weight.

4. What type of lubricant should be used to reduce friction on the shafts?

The type of lubricant used will depend on the materials of the shafts and items, as well as the environment they are in. Generally, a high-quality industrial lubricant should be used that is specifically designed for the materials and conditions present.

5. How can I ensure the movement of the items on the shafts is smooth and efficient?

To ensure smooth and efficient movement of the items on the shafts, it is important to regularly maintain and clean the shafts and items. This will prevent buildup of debris and friction, allowing for smoother movement. Additionally, using appropriate lubrication and evenly distributing the weight of the items can also contribute to smooth and efficient movement.