Running 3 Miles: The Staggering Implications

• Thread starter Namloh2000
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Frames
In summary, the conversation discusses Zeno's Paradox and its implications on the concept of motion. The idea that motion can be divided infinitely raises questions about whether movement is truly possible or if it is an illusion. However, the solution to this paradox lies in the fact that the sum of an infinite series is still finite. The conversation also mentions the option of seeking further discussion and explanations on online forums.
Namloh2000
Moving in Frames??

okay, so let's say I ran 3 miles. At one point, I must have been halfway between start and finish right? From the halfway point, I must have existed halfway from there and the remaining 1.5 miles also. And halfway between THAT point and the finish. Then halfway from THAT point and the finish. I must have existed at all these halfway points, but if motion was fluid, couldn't this not be accomplished, being that I can divide my new remaining distance in half from here to infinity, meaning that I would have to be running forever? The implications are staggering!

seriously though, what's up - how come I can run 3 miles?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is known as Zeno's Paradox. The sum of an infinite series is still finite. Google it. Much has been said about it.

okay so i read up a bit and the solution seems to be something in that because the sum of the series ½ + ¼ + 1/8 + ... is equal to 1. The total time is finite because each step is done in half as much time as the previous step.

But I still don't understand.

OK, I see that you don't have much faith in mathematics. Anyway, go visit here if you are interested: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=22419

You can open a new thread in the General Math section if you still don't believe in Zeno's Paradox. You will get more replies there, and most of them will be harsh. So good luck! :)

What are the health benefits of running 3 miles?

Running 3 miles has numerous health benefits, including improved cardiovascular health, increased lung capacity, weight loss, and improved overall physical fitness. It can also help lower the risk of chronic diseases such as heart disease, stroke, and type 2 diabetes.

How often should I run 3 miles?

The frequency of running 3 miles depends on your fitness level and goals. For beginners, it is recommended to start with 2-3 times per week and gradually increase to 3-4 times per week. More experienced runners may choose to run 3 miles daily or even multiple times a day.

What are some tips for running 3 miles?

Some tips for running 3 miles include warming up before your run, maintaining proper form, staying hydrated, and listening to your body to avoid injury. It is also important to have a good pair of running shoes and to gradually increase your mileage to avoid overexertion.

Can running 3 miles help me lose weight?

Yes, running 3 miles can contribute to weight loss when combined with a healthy diet. Running burns calories and can help create a caloric deficit, which is necessary for weight loss. However, the amount of weight loss will vary depending on individual factors such as diet, metabolism, and starting weight.

What are the mental benefits of running 3 miles?

In addition to physical benefits, running 3 miles can also have positive effects on mental health. Regular exercise has been linked to decreased stress, improved mood, and reduced symptoms of anxiety and depression. It can also boost self-esteem and help with cognitive function and memory.