Moving Mesh Problem in COMSOL.

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's difficulty in understanding the concept of moving mesh and its features, as well as the significance of using assembly and pairs feature in induction heating. They are seeking references and example models to further understand the process and achieve desired results.
ishantj
I am working over a problem, induction heating of a rod moving inside the furnace with a certain velocity, required to relieve stress from the surface.

The furnace is stationary, means the coil while the rod is moving inside the coils. So, I have given the boundary condition accordingly with transitional speed to the rod. However, I am unable to understand, the concept of moving mesh and it feature, the significance of using assembly and pairs feature etc.

All these, I want, to see the result like; the change in thermal profile over the cross section plane at d= 0 ( i.e. From the point it enters into the coil ) while its travel each cm inside the coils till it finally comes out of the coil.

Please send me some reference, example model to understand this further.

--
Ishant Jain

Physics news on Phys.org
One reference you may find useful is the book "Induction Heating: Theory and Application" by Roger Granet. It provides a detailed introduction to induction heating and explains the principles and applications of the technology. It includes examples of how to set up and solve problems related to induction heating, as well as providing methods for designing and constructing induction heating systems. Additionally, it provides guidance on the use of simulation software for solving induction heating problems.

1. What is the "Moving Mesh Problem" in COMSOL?

The Moving Mesh Problem in COMSOL refers to the challenge of accurately simulating a system with moving boundaries or interfaces using the COMSOL Multiphysics software. This problem arises in many applications, such as fluid dynamics, heat transfer, and electromagnetics, where the boundaries or interfaces of the system are not fixed and may change over time.

2. Why is the Moving Mesh Problem important in scientific simulations?

The Moving Mesh Problem is important because it allows for more realistic and accurate simulations of dynamic systems. Many physical processes, such as fluid flow and heat transfer, involve moving boundaries or interfaces, and accurately capturing these movements is crucial for understanding and predicting their behavior. Additionally, the Moving Mesh Problem allows for the simulation of more complex systems, such as those with deformable structures or changing geometries.

3. How does COMSOL handle the Moving Mesh Problem?

COMSOL offers several techniques for handling the Moving Mesh Problem, including Arbitrary Lagrangian-Eulerian (ALE) and Deforming Mesh methods. These methods allow for the mesh to move and deform according to the changing boundaries or interfaces, while also maintaining the accuracy and stability of the simulation. COMSOL also offers tools for mesh refinement and adaptive meshing, which can improve the accuracy of the solution in regions with high gradients or rapid changes.

4. What are the limitations of COMSOL in handling the Moving Mesh Problem?

While COMSOL offers powerful tools for handling the Moving Mesh Problem, there are some limitations to consider. These include the potential for increased computational time and memory usage when using moving meshes, as well as the potential for mesh distortion or tangling in highly dynamic simulations. Additionally, the Moving Mesh Problem may be more challenging to solve for certain types of physics, such as highly nonlinear or multiphysics problems.

5. How can I ensure the accuracy of my simulations when using the Moving Mesh Problem in COMSOL?

To ensure the accuracy of your simulations when using the Moving Mesh Problem in COMSOL, it is important to carefully choose the appropriate method for your specific application and to properly set up the simulation parameters. It is also recommended to perform mesh refinement and quality checks to ensure that the mesh is suitable for the problem at hand. Additionally, it is important to carefully validate the simulation results against experimental data or other analytical solutions. Finally, using a powerful computing platform and optimizing the simulation settings can also help to improve the accuracy of the solution.