1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moving pulley problem

1. Feb 5, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    http://media.cheggcdn.com/media/76d/76dd5c56-43a5-44d3-b8b8-40ba63a9010a/phpYYNJyN.png

Cable ABC has a length of 5 m. Determine the position x and the tension developed in ABC required for equilibrium of the 100 kg sack. Neglect the size of the pulley

2. Relevant equations
    TABCosθ + TBCCos[itex]\phi[/itex]=0
    TABSinθ + TBCSin[itex]\phi[/itex]=980N
    I also have the distance from C to the pulley (in x direction) is 3.5-x

3. The attempt at a solution
    My attempt at the solution so far is
    TABCosθ = TBCCos[itex]\phi[/itex]
    I can rearrange the trig functions themselves, but I'm missing a height component, but I don't even know if that's the right track.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2013 #2
    I have also managed to introduce a few new variables. I have introduced h+H=5 (The length of the rope) and y and y+0.75

4. Feb 5, 2013 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Consider the 'free body' diagram for a thin vertical slice of the rope directly under the pulley (thin compared with radius of pulley). What does this tell you about the tension each side?

5. Oct 28, 2013 #4
    Tension is the same. I tried to find similar triangles and worked with them but I am getting equations with x^4.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted