Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moving to gentoo

1. Jun 16, 2005 #1
    I have decided to leave slack behind for a while and take a look at gentoo, which I have never tried before. I want to do a stage1 install and I have been reading some of the documentation on the gentoo site, but cannot find any good summary of the process. Can someone please explain it to me or rather provide a link to a site that does explain the process for a Gentoo beginner? Thanks a lot.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus

4. Jun 16, 2005 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There seem to be three phases:

1. Get your computer booted off of CD, and get networking running.
    2. Install a base system on your computer.
    3. Download and compile for 3 days.
  5. Jun 17, 2005 #4
    the compiling doesn't really take that long apart from gnome/kde and openoffice. most apps are compiled in a few minutes at most.
  6. Jun 17, 2005 #5
    You don't have to compile from source with gentoo, although it is the default option with emerge. If you don't enable architechture specific optimizations, its pretty superfluos anyways. Even if you do, it isn't worth it for the vast majority of applications except for obvious ones like the kernel.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?