The Mpemba Effect: Hot Water Freezing Faster Than Cold

In summary, the Mpemba Effect is a phenomenon where hot water freezes faster than cold water under certain conditions. It was named after Tanzanian student Erasto Mpemba, who first observed it in 1963. The exact cause of the effect is still debated, but it is believed to be a combination of several factors, including evaporation, convection, and dissolved gases. The Mpemba Effect is most likely to occur when the hot water is initially at a higher temperature than the cold water, both are placed in an environment with a low air pressure or high humidity, and the containers are made of a good conductor of heat. This effect has been studied for its potential applications in various industries, such as cryopreservation,
Poncho
The Mpemba effect is about the phenomena of hot water freezing faster than cold water. Does anyone know how to pronounce Mpemba?

Physics news on Phys.org
I've never heard it spoken. From the way that it's written in English (and I'm sure that it can't be directly translated), I would be inclined to think Hmm-pom-bah. There's a better than 50% chance that I'm wrong.

From what I can remember, the water must be VERY pure for it to work

But it can still contain some contaminants for proper pronunciation.

What is the Mpemba Effect?

The Mpemba Effect is a phenomenon where hot water freezes faster than cold water under certain conditions.

Who discovered the Mpemba Effect?

The Mpemba Effect is named after Tanzanian student Erasto Mpemba, who first observed the effect in 1963.

Why does hot water freeze faster than cold water?

The exact cause of the Mpemba Effect is still debated, but it is believed to be a combination of several factors, including evaporation, convection, and dissolved gases.

What are the conditions needed for the Mpemba Effect to occur?

The Mpemba Effect is most likely to occur when the hot water is initially at a higher temperature than the cold water, both are placed in an environment with a low air pressure or high humidity, and the containers are made of a good conductor of heat.

What are the practical applications of the Mpemba Effect?

The Mpemba Effect has been studied for its potential applications in various industries, such as cryopreservation, food technology, and energy conservation. It also has implications for meteorology and climate science.