1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

MRI emf rating problem.

1. Feb 19, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is a medical technique for producing "pictures" of the interior of the body. The patient is placed within a strong magnetic field. One safety concern is what would happen to the positively and negatively charged particles in the body fluids if an equipment failure caused the magnetic field to be shut off suddenly. An induced emf could cause these particles to flow, producing an electric current within the body. Suppose the largest surface of the body through which flux passes has an area of 0.028 m2 and a normal that is parallel to a magnetic field of 2.0 T. Determine the smallest time period during which the field can be allowed to vanish if the magnitude of the average induced emf is to be kept less than 0.010 V.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

not sure what i'm doing wrong, but i can't find an answer for this.

I have these formulas: E = -N * chng in flux/chang in time
    also, flux = BAcos(theta)

need help, can't find a correct answer.
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted