How Fast Can an MRI's Magnetic Field Safely Shut Off to Prevent Harm?

In summary, we used the formula E = -N * ΔΦ/Δt to determine the smallest time period (Δt) during which the magnetic field can be allowed to vanish if the average induced emf (E) is to be kept below 0.010 V. We found that the smallest Δt is 0.179 seconds.
rcmango

Homework Statement

Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is a medical technique for producing "pictures" of the interior of the body. The patient is placed within a strong magnetic field. One safety concern is what would happen to the positively and negatively charged particles in the body fluids if an equipment failure caused the magnetic field to be shut off suddenly. An induced emf could cause these particles to flow, producing an electric current within the body. Suppose the largest surface of the body through which flux passes has an area of 0.028 m2 and a normal that is parallel to a magnetic field of 2.0 T. Determine the smallest time period during which the field can be allowed to vanish if the magnitude of the average induced emf is to be kept less than 0.010 V.
s

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

not sure what I'm doing wrong, but i can't find an answer for this.

I have these formulas: E = -N * chng in flux/chang in time
also, flux = BAcos(theta)

need help, can't find a correct answer.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello, thank you for your post. I am a scientist and I can help you with this problem.

First, let's start by identifying the given information:

- Area (A) = 0.028 m2
- Magnetic field (B) = 2.0 T
- Normal (θ) = parallel to magnetic field
- Average induced emf (E) = 0.010 V

We can use the formula E = -N * ΔΦ/Δt, where N is the number of turns in the coil, ΔΦ is the change in magnetic flux, and Δt is the change in time.

We also know that magnetic flux (Φ) is equal to BAcos(θ), where B is the magnetic field, A is the area, and θ is the angle between the magnetic field and the normal.

Now, let's plug in the given values and solve for Δt:

0.010 V = -N * (2.0 T) * (0.028 m2) * cos(0°)/Δt

0.010 V = -N * (0.056 Tm2)/Δt

-0.010 V/(-0.056 Tm2) = N/Δt

0.179 s = N/Δt

Therefore, the smallest time period during which the field can be allowed to vanish is 0.179 s. This means that if the magnetic field is shut off suddenly, it must be restored within 0.179 seconds to keep the induced emf below 0.010 V.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

I understand your frustration with not being able to find a correct answer for this question. It seems like you have the right formulas and approach, but perhaps there is an error in your calculations. I would suggest double-checking your calculations and make sure you are using the correct units for each variable. It is also important to consider the direction of the induced emf and whether it will add or subtract from the existing magnetic field.

Additionally, it may be helpful to break down the problem into smaller steps and solve for each variable separately. For example, first solve for the induced emf, then use that value to calculate the time period. This can help identify any errors in your calculations.

If you are still having trouble, I recommend seeking help from a colleague or professor who may be able to offer additional guidance. It is also important to remember that in real-life situations, there are many factors at play and it may not be possible to calculate an exact answer. In this case, it would be important to consider the safety precautions and protocols in place to minimize the impact of any equipment failure on the patient.

1. What is an MRI EMF rating problem?

An MRI EMF rating problem refers to the issue of electromagnetic fields (EMFs) being produced during an MRI scan and potentially affecting the patient or the surrounding environment. These EMFs can be harmful if not properly managed and monitored.

2. How are EMFs produced during an MRI scan?

EMFs are produced when the MRI machine generates a strong magnetic field to create images of the body's internal structures. This magnetic field interacts with the body's tissues, causing them to emit their own weak magnetic fields. These interactions can also produce electric fields, which can pose a risk to the patient.

3. What are the potential health risks associated with MRI EMFs?

The main concern with MRI EMFs is the possibility of thermal effects, where the EMFs can cause tissue heating and potentially damage to the body's cells. Other concerns include changes in heart rate and blood pressure, as well as interference with electronic medical devices.

4. How are MRI EMFs monitored and controlled?

There are strict guidelines and regulations in place to monitor and control MRI EMFs. These include limiting the exposure time, using proper shielding and grounding techniques, and regularly measuring and monitoring the EMF levels. MRI technicians are also trained to operate the machine safely and minimize the patient's exposure to EMFs.

5. Are there any safety precautions that patients should take before undergoing an MRI scan?

Yes, patients should inform their healthcare provider of any medical devices or implants they have, as these can be affected by EMFs. Patients should also remove any metal objects they are wearing, such as jewelry or piercings, as these can be dangerous in the strong magnetic field. Pregnant women should also inform their healthcare provider, as there may be potential risks to the fetus from the EMFs.