MSc Physics: Should My Sister Take an Entrance Exam?

In summary: However, if your sister is interested in doing an MSc in physics, she should consider taking the Physics GRE.
shanmugapriyasp
My sister is willing to study MSc Physics in abroad. Should she need to take any entrance exam?

Physics news on Phys.org
Abroad from where? :oldwink:

Also, "to where" makes a difference. In the USA, applicants for graduate school are usually expected to take the Graduate Record Exam (both the general exam and the subject exam for your field), but it is only one factor in admissions; there's no rigid cutoff score as for "entrance exams" in some countries.

Likes shanmugapriyasp
That's cool.. GRE is for MS and MBA right? So, For MSc? Ok fine, She is willing to study in Canada.

Why can't your sister get on here and ask these questions directly, rather than having to go through you? After all, it appears that you registered here JUST to ask these questions.

Zz.

shanmugapriyasp said:
GRE is for MS and MBA right? So, For MSc?
In the US, if you are aiming for a PhD in physics, you normally enroll in a PhD program directly after finishing a bachelor's degree. PhD programs in the US include the coursework that in most other countries is done separately as an MSc. MS programs in physics are usually "terminal degrees" that lead to work in industry, or are for teachers upgrading their credentials, and are not intended to lead into a PhD program.

Most PhD programs require you to take both the general GRE and the physics GRE exams, as part of your application portfolio. I don't know about terminal MS programs.

Likes shanmugapriyasp
Oh, and we don't have "MSc" in the US, just "MS", as far as I know. It's an "I say tomahto, you say tomayto" sort of thing. :oldwink:

shanmugapriyasp said:
That's cool.. GRE is for MS and MBA right? So, For MSc? Ok fine, She is willing to study in Canada.

In Canada, it is unusual to have any type of entrance exam for an MSc.

1. What is an MSc in Physics?

An MSc in Physics is a Master of Science degree program that focuses on advanced studies in the field of Physics. This program typically covers topics such as classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, thermodynamics, and statistical mechanics.

2. Is taking an entrance exam necessary for an MSc in Physics?

Yes, most universities require applicants to take an entrance exam for their MSc in Physics program. This exam helps assess the applicant's knowledge and skills in Physics and determines their eligibility for the program.

3. How can my sister prepare for the entrance exam?

Your sister can prepare for the entrance exam by reviewing her physics knowledge and understanding key concepts in areas like classical mechanics, thermodynamics, and electromagnetism. She can also practice solving physics problems and taking sample entrance exams to familiarize herself with the format and difficulty level.

4. What are the benefits of pursuing an MSc in Physics?

An MSc in Physics can open up many career opportunities in fields such as research, academia, engineering, and technology. It also allows for further specialization and can lead to higher-paying jobs in the future.

5. Are there any alternatives to taking an entrance exam for an MSc in Physics?

Some universities may consider other criteria for admission, such as undergraduate coursework, GRE scores, and letters of recommendation. However, taking the entrance exam is usually the most common and preferred method of admission for an MSc in Physics program.