1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

MSc Physics Suggestions

1. Sep 19, 2016 #1
    My sister is willing to study MSc Physics in abroad. Should she need to take any entrance exam?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2016 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Abroad from where? :oldwink:

Also, "to where" makes a difference. In the USA, applicants for graduate school are usually expected to take the Graduate Record Exam (both the general exam and the subject exam for your field), but it is only one factor in admissions; there's no rigid cutoff score as for "entrance exams" in some countries.

4. Sep 23, 2016 #3
    That's cool.. GRE is for MS and MBA right? So, For MSc??? Ok fine, She is willing to study in Canada.

5. Sep 23, 2016 #4

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Why can't your sister get on here and ask these questions directly, rather than having to go through you? After all, it appears that you registered here JUST to ask these questions.

Zz.

6. Sep 23, 2016 #5

jtbell

In the US, if you are aiming for a PhD in physics, you normally enroll in a PhD program directly after finishing a bachelor's degree. PhD programs in the US include the coursework that in most other countries is done separately as an MSc. MS programs in physics are usually "terminal degrees" that lead to work in industry, or are for teachers upgrading their credentials, and are not intended to lead into a PhD program.

Most PhD programs require you to take both the general GRE and the physics GRE exams, as part of your application portfolio. I don't know about terminal MS programs.

7. Nov 17, 2016 #6

jtbell

Oh, and we don't have "MSc" in the US, just "MS", as far as I know. It's an "I say tomahto, you say tomayto" sort of thing. :oldwink:

8. Nov 17, 2016 #7

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In Canada, it is unusual to have any type of entrance exam for an MSc.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted