1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Multimeter problem

1. Dec 6, 2011 #1
    Hello, i'm trying to learn some electronics by myself but it's quite difficult, now i'm studying the multimeters and a problem says

What will a 20000Ω/V meter read on its 1 volt scale, when attached to a 1 volt source with an internal resistance of 10k?

Can you set up this problem for me because I didn't yet understood well the argument. Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2011 #2

Averagesupernova

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Analog meters have an ohms per volt spec. This means that if the meter a 20,000 ohms per volt spec and has a 10 volt range that means that the load the probes will put on a circuit while in the 10 volt range would be 200,000 ohms. So do the math figuring a series circuit of 10K ohms with 200K ohms and a 1 volt source.

4. Dec 6, 2011 #3
    It is equivalent to having the voltmeter in series with a resistance R1 of 10k and another R2 of 20k.

Use V = IR to find V2 which is the reading of the voltmeter.

5. Jan 27, 2012 #4
    But doesn't an high resistance mean a lower sensibility (because it "resist" to more electrons)? Instead why it's the opposite here?

6. Jan 27, 2012 #5

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I don't understand what you just said, but here's the thing: high resistance in a meter means the meter will have less effect on the circuit that it is measuring because it will draw less current out of it. That's a good thing.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook