1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Multiply by the number of moles of that substance

1. Mar 21, 2006 #1
    How do I figure out how many moles to mutiply by?

It says "multiply by the number of moles of that substance"

How do I figure that out?

Here's where I am:

H2O(l)= - 285.830 kJ/mol x ___ mol

NH3(g)= -46.11 kj/mol x ___ mol

And what does the L or G mean for the equation?:grumpy:
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2006 #2
    Is this an exercise?
    If it is, they must say the number of moles of H2O and the number of moles of NH3.

l and g are the states of water and ammonia and they stand for liquid and gaseous, respectively. In this situation, I think they are not important, but I don't understand well this exercise.
  4. Mar 21, 2006 #3
    This is the question:

Balance the equation and Calculate the enthalpy change for the following reaction:

NH3(g) + O2(g) --> N2(g) + H2O(l)

NH3(g)= -46.11 kj/mol

O2(g) = 0 kJ/mol

N2(g) = 0 kJ/mol

H20(l)= - 285.830 kJ/mol

I know that to begin, I need to multiply the numbers above by the amount of moles in the substances. I think. LOL
  5. Mar 21, 2006 #4
    First, we balance the equation:

2NH3(g) + 1.5O2(g) --> N2(g) + 3H2O(l)

Enthalpy change = enthalpy of products - enthalpy of reactants
    Enthalpy change = 2 mol x -46.11 kj/mol - 3 mol x - 285.830 kJ/mol
    Enthalpy change = -92.2 + 857.49
    Enthalpy change = 765.29 kJ

Note: I haven't learnt yet to resolve enthalpy change problems in school like this, but is the only way I see to resolve it. I seriously advise you to wait for a confirmation or correction of this resolution. I just tried to help.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2006
  6. Mar 21, 2006 #5
    Looking over my notes, it looks like you hit it right on! I'm still a *little* fuzzy but I can't thank you enough for helping me out. I was gonna have to submit this with no idea what I was doing.. :) Any help at all is better than no help. Thankyou SO much for your help.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?