1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Multivariable Calculus book with Taylor expansion for several variables

1. Jul 25, 2012 #1
    Hi. I borrowed many multivariable Calculus book so that I can choose one for the next semester. The one I liked most is Multivariable Calculus by Ron Larson. It is full of graphics and colours, somthing that is essential to understand functions of two variables. The only thing is that it does not have any section for Taylor expansions for two variables...

I also have Thomas' Calculus which has something about Taylor but it's not pretty clear.. but the rest is cool.

I've also got Stewart but didn't like it.

Adams' Calculus also treats Taylor for two variables but the whole book is black and white... pretty hard to understand graphs.

All books cover almost same things...

So what do you think? Am I missing some book which may have Taylor for 2 variables? Which one of the ones I mentioned would you recommend?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 25, 2012 #2
    I have not read more than a few sample pages of the following book myself and do not know its entire contents, but I've seen high recommendations and reviews for it. I will be buying it for my classes over the next couple of semesters, but I thought I'd throw it out there to give you some more options:

Hubbard and Hubbard - Vector Calculus, Linear Algebra, and Differential Forms.

4. Jul 25, 2012 #3
    That's not adequate for my semester. Linear Algebra is a separate curse... I won't get a book with material I already have. Ron Larson Multi Calculus has 4.5/5 score with 10 costumers review and I can tell you it IS damn good, but I would choose 4/5 of what I've seen because it's only missing Taylor for 2 variables. Can't believe that many books have skipped that... it's an important topic.

Thanks!!

5. Jul 25, 2012 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Hubbard does not only cover linear algebra. It also covers multivariable calculus. It's an extremely good book! Perhaps one of my favorite on multivariable calculus.

6. Jul 25, 2012 #5
    Hm alright I will take it into account but I don't know if I'm able to get that book. Anyway, do you have any other to recommend? And from the ones I've mentiones which one would you choose?

Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook