Multivariable Calculus book with Taylor expansion for several variables

In summary, the conversation was about choosing a multivariable calculus book for the next semester. The person mentioned that they liked Multivariable Calculus by Ron Larson because of its graphics and colors, but it did not have a section on Taylor expansions for two variables. They also mentioned Thomas' Calculus and Stewart, but did not like them. They asked if there were any other books that included Taylor expansions for two variables and which one the other person would recommend. The other person suggested Hubbard and Hubbard's Vector Calculus, Linear Algebra, and Differential Forms, which also covers multivariable calculus and is highly recommended. The person asked if there were any other recommendations and which book the other person would choose from the ones mentioned.
Hernaner28
Hi. I borrowed many multivariable Calculus book so that I can choose one for the next semester. The one I liked most is Multivariable Calculus by Ron Larson. It is full of graphics and colours, somthing that is essential to understand functions of two variables. The only thing is that it does not have any section for Taylor expansions for two variables...

I also have Thomas' Calculus which has something about Taylor but it's not pretty clear.. but the rest is cool.

I've also got Stewart but didn't like it.

Adams' Calculus also treats Taylor for two variables but the whole book is black and white... pretty hard to understand graphs.

All books cover almost same things...

So what do you think? Am I missing some book which may have Taylor for 2 variables? Which one of the ones I mentioned would you recommend?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I have not read more than a few sample pages of the following book myself and do not know its entire contents, but I've seen high recommendations and reviews for it. I will be buying it for my classes over the next couple of semesters, but I thought I'd throw it out there to give you some more options:

Hubbard and Hubbard - Vector Calculus, Linear Algebra, and Differential Forms.

That's not adequate for my semester. Linear Algebra is a separate curse... I won't get a book with material I already have. Ron Larson Multi Calculus has 4.5/5 score with 10 costumers review and I can tell you it IS damn good, but I would choose 4/5 of what I've seen because it's only missing Taylor for 2 variables. Can't believe that many books have skipped that... it's an important topic.

Thanks!

Hernaner28 said:
That's not adequate for my semester. Linear Algebra is a separate curse... I won't get a book with material I already have. Ron Larson Multi Calculus has 4.5/5 score with 10 costumers review and I can tell you it IS damn good, but I would choose 4/5 of what I've seen because it's only missing Taylor for 2 variables. Can't believe that many books have skipped that... it's an important topic.

Thanks!

Hubbard does not only cover linear algebra. It also covers multivariable calculus. It's an extremely good book! Perhaps one of my favorite on multivariable calculus.

Hm alright I will take it into account but I don't know if I'm able to get that book. Anyway, do you have any other to recommend? And from the ones I've mentiones which one would you choose?

Thanks!

1. What is the purpose of a Multivariable Calculus book with Taylor expansion for several variables?

A Multivariable Calculus book with Taylor expansion for several variables is used to understand the principles and applications of calculus in multiple dimensions. It covers topics such as partial derivatives, multiple integrals, and vector calculus, and provides a deeper understanding of functions with multiple variables.

2. How is a Multivariable Calculus book with Taylor expansion for several variables different from a regular Calculus book?

A regular Calculus book usually focuses on functions with only one variable, while a Multivariable Calculus book with Taylor expansion for several variables deals with functions with multiple variables. It also includes topics such as partial derivatives, multiple integrals, and vector calculus, which are not typically covered in a regular Calculus book.

3. Is it necessary to have a strong understanding of single variable calculus before studying multivariable calculus?

Yes, it is important to have a strong foundation in single variable calculus before studying multivariable calculus. Many concepts in multivariable calculus build upon the principles and techniques learned in single variable calculus. It is recommended to have a thorough understanding of derivatives, integrals, and basic algebra before studying multivariable calculus.

4. How does Taylor expansion for several variables help in solving real-world problems?

Taylor expansion for several variables is a powerful tool for approximating multivariable functions. It allows us to approximate complex functions with simpler polynomials, making it easier to solve real-world problems that involve multiple variables. This technique is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

5. Are there any practical applications of multivariable calculus with Taylor expansion for several variables?

Yes, multivariable calculus with Taylor expansion for several variables has many practical applications. It is used in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and computer graphics to model and solve real-world problems. Some common applications include optimization, curve fitting, and numerical analysis.