1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

[Multivariable calculus] Find the rate of flow outward through the part of the parabo

1. Aug 6, 2010 #1
    1. Problem:
    A fluid has density 1000 km/m3 and flows with velocity V =<x,y,z>, where x, y, and z are measured in meters, and the components of V are measured in meters per second. Find the rate of flow outward through the part of the paraboloid z = 64 - x^2 - y^2 that lies above the xy plane.

2. Relevant Equation:
    Double Integral (Density*V ds)

Where V is the velocity function

3. The attempt at a solution
    The only formula i found to solve this problem is formula above(2) which requires me to have the parametric equation for the paraboloid.. The thing is I really have no idea how to turn the paraboloid equation above into parametric equation

Helps are really appreciated...

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2010 #2
    Re: [Multivariable calculus] Find the rate of flow outward through the part of the pa

I don't quite get understand the way you worded the problem, but here's the parametrized surface:

[tex] \vec{r}(x, \theta) = (xcos\theta, xsin\theta, 64 - x^2) [/tex]

How is the fluid density measured in km/m^3? What units is your "rate of flow" supposed to be measured in? Also, are you sure your formula is correct?

4. Aug 8, 2010 #3
    Re: [Multivariable calculus] Find the rate of flow outward through the part of the pa

i just copy pasted the actual problem from wamap.. and about the formula, i'm not sure either since i found it from google...
    anyhow, how do you get the parametric equation? is that something to remember?

thanks

5. Aug 8, 2010 #4

It's not something you have to memorize, but it is a method with which you should familiarize yourself. I'll give you a hint:

Fixing z traces out a circle on the paraboloid. The standard and obvious parametrization of the unit circle is [tex] \vec{r}(\theta) = (cos\theta, sin\theta). [/tex] Can you figure out what leads us to the final answer from here?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook