Finding The Distance From A Paraboloid To A Plane.

In summary: Maybe you missed something.In summary, the student is trying to solve for the vectors that are parallel to the paraboloid, but is having difficulty.
Baumer8993

Homework Statement

Find the distance from the paraboloid z = X2 + 2Y2 to the plane
2X + 8Y + Z = -8.

Homework Equations

The partial derivatives with respect to X, And Y for the paraboloid.

The Attempt at a Solution

My professor said we need to find the point where the tangent plane of the paraboloid is parallel to the plane. I can take the X, and Y partial derivatives, but then I do not know what to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
You should know what the normal vector to the plane is by looking at it. You want to find a point on the paraboloid whose normal vector is parallel to that. How would you find a normal vector to the surface at a point (x,y,z)?

Oh I just need to move the Z over then take the gradient.

Baumer8993 said:
Oh I just need to move the Z over then take the gradient.

Yes, and the simple way to check if two vectors are parallel is to see if one is a multiple of the other.

Ok, so now I am stuck at the finding the vectors that are parallel. I know that they can be a multiple of each other. I got the gradient of < 2X, 4y, -1>. I know the normal vector is
<2, 8, 1>.

I set the equations to make:

2X = 2K 4Y = 8K -1 = 1K

K is just a constant. How do I solve these?

Baumer8993 said:
Ok, so now I am stuck at the finding the vectors that are parallel. I know that they can be a multiple of each other. I got the gradient of < 2X, 4y, -1>. I know the normal vector is
<2, 8, 1>.

I set the equations to make:

2X = 2K 4Y = 8K -1 = 1K

K is just a constant. How do I solve these?

Good job setting the equations up, but I'm having a hard time figuring out why you can't solve -1=1*K. Take another look at them.

Last edited:

1. How do you find the distance from a paraboloid to a plane?

To find the distance from a paraboloid to a plane, you can use the formula d = |Ax + By + Cz + D| / √(A² + B² + C²), where A, B, and C are the coefficients of the plane's equation and D is the constant term.

2. What is a paraboloid?

A paraboloid is a three-dimensional surface that resembles a parabola in one direction and a circular arc in the other direction. It can be formed by rotating a parabola around its axis or by revolving a straight line around a fixed point.

3. What is a plane?

A plane is a two-dimensional surface that extends infinitely in all directions and is defined by three points or a point and a normal vector. It is a flat surface that does not curve or bend.

4. Why is it important to find the distance from a paraboloid to a plane?

Finding the distance from a paraboloid to a plane is important in various fields, such as engineering, physics, and mathematics. It can help determine the optimal distance between two objects, the trajectory of a projectile, or the intersection points of two surfaces.

5. Can the distance from a paraboloid to a plane be negative?

No, the distance from a paraboloid to a plane cannot be negative. It represents the shortest distance between the two surfaces, and distance is always a positive value. A negative value would indicate that the surfaces are intersecting or overlapping.