Solving Multivariable Domain: x^2+y^2<=|z^2|

In summary: However, y2 cannot be less than 0 because then x2 + y2 would be equal to z2, and that is not the case. Likewise, z2 cannot be less than 0 because then x2 + y2 would also be equal to z2, and that is not the case either. Therefore, x2 + y2 must be greater than z2.
lukatwo

Homework Statement

I'm having a problem with solving the domain of |x^2+y^2|<=|z^2|.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

From what I got this should be separated into two expressions:
x^2+y^2<=z^2, and x^2+y^2>=-z^2. The later doesn't have a real solution because of the negative root. The first one should then be z>=+-sqrt(x^2+y^2). I can understand that z>=+sqrt(x^2+y^2) is above the positive cone(inside), but where is z>=-sqrt(x^2+y^2) supposed to be? I'm thinking above the negative cone(outside), but I'm not sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
lukatwo said:

Homework Statement

I'm having a problem with solving the domain of |x^2+y^2|<=|z^2|.
x, y, and z are all real numbers, right?

If so, you can get rid of the absolute value symbols, since x2 + y2 ≥ 0 for any real numbers x and y. Similarly, z2 ≥ 0 for any real number z.
lukatwo said:

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

From what I got this should be separated into two expressions:
x^2+y^2<=z^2, and x^2+y^2>=-z^2. The later doesn't have a real solution because of the negative root. The first one should then be z>=+-sqrt(x^2+y^2). I can understand that z>=+sqrt(x^2+y^2) is above the positive cone(inside), but where is z>=-sqrt(x^2+y^2) supposed to be? I'm thinking above the negative cone(outside), but I'm not sure.

Likes 1 person
Maybe should have put the part that was troubling me in the question.
I can understand that z>=+sqrt(x^2+y^2) is above the positive cone(inside), but where is z>=-sqrt(x^2+y^2) supposed to be? I'm thinking above the negative cone(outside), but I'm not sure.
So basically, where is z>=-sqrt(x^2+y^2) supposed to be?

If you strip out the unnecessary stuff, your inequality is x2 + y2 ≤ z2.

First off, look at the equation x2 + y2 = z2. This is part of your solution set. What does it look like?

Once you have that, then tackle the rest, which is x2 + y2 < z2. The absolute smallest that x2 + y2 can be is 0.

1. What does the equation x^2+y^2<=|z^2| represent?

The equation x^2+y^2<=|z^2| represents a multivariable domain in which the sum of the squares of x and y is less than or equal to the absolute value of z squared. This can also be thought of as a three-dimensional shape or region in space.

2. How do you graph the solution to x^2+y^2<=|z^2|?

To graph the solution, you would plot all points (x,y,z) that satisfy the inequality. This would result in a solid sphere with a radius of 1, centered at the origin.

3. Can you solve for a specific value of x, y, or z in x^2+y^2<=|z^2|?

No, this equation represents a range of values for each variable rather than a single solution. However, you can plug in specific values for x, y, and z to see if they satisfy the inequality.

4. How does changing the inequality symbol (<=) affect the solution?

Changing the inequality symbol would result in a different shape or region in space. For example, using > instead of <= would create a hollow sphere with a radius of 1, while using < would create a smaller solid sphere within the original sphere.

5. What real-life applications use the concept of solving multivariable domains?

Solving multivariable domains can be used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and computer science. For example, it can be used in designing three-dimensional objects, calculating motion in space, or optimizing algorithms for data analysis.