Muons reaching Earth's surface problem

In summary: If you use the speed of light in a vacuum, then the time dilation is approximately 1/c.Yes, that's close enough.
fruggz
Question: Muons created in the upper atmosphere are sometimes able to reach the Earth's surface. Imagine that one such muon travels the 60km from the upper atmosphere to the ground (in the Earth's frame) in one muon half-life of 1.52us (in the muon's frame). How thick is that part of the Earth's atmosphere from the muon's creation point to the ground in the muon's frame?

Attempted solution: Assuming the muon travels at 0.99c, in on half life cycle in it's own frame it would travel 0.99c*1.52us. This yields d=451 meters. That seems a little too easy for my liking, is it correct? My physics class basically got a crash course in relativity, that is 10 chapters in two weeks and we did very few examples so this seems foreign to me.

Physics news on Phys.org
fruggz said:
Assuming the muon travels at 0.99c, in on half life cycle in it's own frame it would travel 0.99c*1.52us.
Be very careful with your wording. The muons travel exactly zero distance in their own frame by definition. In the muon frame, the Earth travels the quoted distance.

But you are right, you are being too simplistic here:
fruggz said:
Assuming the muon travels at 0.99c
You cannot just assume a velocity, you have to compute it. (Although it will be pretty close to c, so the final value will not be much different.)

Yes, that's a little too easy. Sorry...

You're guessing at the velocity of the muon. Can you work it out? Assume that the muon was created at t=0 and x=0.

Hint - it's a rare introductory problem to special relativity that doesn't require you to use the Lorentz transforms.

Ibix said:
Hint - it's a rare introductory problem to special relativity that doesn't require you to use the Lorentz transforms.

Lorentz transforming here is a bit overkill. You can easily find the velocity without performing one. With the given information, the OP gives a pretty good approximation as long as the velocity is anywhere near c.

I don't quite understand how I can calculate the exact velocity?

I'd recommend using the Lorentz transforms. Can you find those? Do you know what quantities given in the question correspond to which variables in the Lorentz transform formulae?

Orodruin is proposing a short-cut based on the formula for time dilation. I'd steer clear of that until you're confident with Lorentz transforms - then you'll be able to see when Orodruin's approach will work and when it won't. Up to you, though.

Well I had actually thought of using time dilation myself, I just couldn't figure out how to relate it to this problem. If I take the muons to be the home frame with the "earth traveling towards them" as Orodruin had pointed out that makes the 1.52us the proper time right? But there I don't know what to do because I don't know the dilated time without knowing the velocity.

That's why I went for the Lorentz transforms. Look them up (depending which frame you call which, you may find the inverse transforms more helpful).

Alternatively, you can approximate as Orodruin suggested in #4.

1. What are muons and why are they important?

Muons are subatomic particles that are similar to electrons but with larger mass. They are created when cosmic rays, which are high-energy particles from outer space, collide with molecules in Earth's atmosphere. Muons are important because they can help scientists study the composition of cosmic rays and understand the properties of matter.

2. How do muons reach Earth's surface?

Muons are created in the upper atmosphere when cosmic rays collide with air molecules. These muons then travel towards the surface of the Earth at nearly the speed of light. Due to their high energy and small size, muons are able to penetrate through the Earth's atmosphere and reach the surface.

3. What is the challenge with detecting muons at Earth's surface?

The main challenge with detecting muons at Earth's surface is that they are constantly bombarded by other particles and can easily be absorbed or scattered. This makes it difficult for scientists to accurately measure the number of muons that reach the surface and to distinguish them from other particles.

4. How do scientists measure the number of muons at Earth's surface?

Scientists use specialized detectors, such as scintillators or Cherenkov detectors, to measure the number of muons that reach the surface. These detectors are designed to detect the high-energy particles produced by muons when they interact with the material in the detector. By analyzing the data from these detectors, scientists can determine the number of muons that reach Earth's surface.

5. Why is the study of muons reaching Earth's surface important?

The study of muons reaching Earth's surface is important for several reasons. Firstly, it can provide insights into the properties of cosmic rays and their sources. Secondly, it can help scientists understand the behavior of high-energy particles in the Earth's atmosphere. Lastly, muons can also be used as a tool to study other phenomena, such as volcanic eruptions or underground structures, by using their ability to penetrate through materials.