Mutual Inductance Homework Solution

In summary, the problem asks for the mutual inductance, L12, between two wired arrangements, represented by the regions 1 and 2 in the figure. The current distribution is given by J2(x) = F2(x), h1 < x < h2, or I2(x) = ∫^h2_h1 F2(x)w2dx. The final expression for the mutual inductance is L12 = μ0*(h2-h1)w1/(g+h2), and it does not depend on current unless paramagnetics are involved. The figure represents coils, with region 1 being the magnetic core with infinite permeability, and regions 1 and 2 being rectangular conductors
danilorj

Homework Statement

Derive an expression for the mutual inductance ,L12, for the case of the figure, assuming a current distribution:
J[itex]_{2}[/itex](x)= F[itex]_{2}[/itex](x), h1<x<h2
or
I[itex]_{2}[/itex](x)= ∫[itex]^{h_2}_{h_1}[/itex] F[itex]_{2}[/itex](x)w[itex]_{2}[/itex]dx

Homework Equations

L[itex]_{12}[/itex](x)=∅[itex]_{12}[/itex](x)/ i[itex]_{2}[/itex](x)

The Attempt at a Solution

In fact I don't know why the problem gives this current distribution. For me the final expression of the mutual inductance does not depend on current. And I don't know either the behavior of the flux lines. The final expression for the mutual I found is L[itex]_{12}[/itex]=μ[itex]_{0}[/itex]*(h[itex]_{2}[/itex]-h[itex]_{1}[/itex])w[itex]_{1}[/itex] / (g+h[itex]_{2}[/itex])

Attachments

• problema1.png
    problema1.png
    917 bytes · Views: 480
Physics news on Phys.org
No idea what this picture represents. Coils? You're right, the mutual inductance between two wired arrangements is not a function of current unless paramagnetics are involved.

The problem is not clear at all on specifying what really this picture means. But I guess the region that is in bege is the magnetic core whose permeability is infinity. And 1 and 2 are cross section of rectangular conductors embedded in the core. Then, for somehow, it makes a currrent density to go through a conductor 2 and it will generate a magnetic flux across conductor 1, for this magnetic flux that is mutual inductance associated. That is what a problem is asking for.

1. What is mutual inductance?

Mutual inductance is the phenomenon in which a changing current in one circuit induces a voltage in another nearby circuit. It is a measure of the ability of two circuits to influence each other's magnetic fields.

2. How is mutual inductance calculated?

Mutual inductance is calculated using the equation M = k * √(L1 * L2), where M is the mutual inductance, k is the coupling coefficient, and L1 and L2 are the inductances of the two circuits.

3. What factors affect mutual inductance?

The factors that affect mutual inductance include the distance between the two circuits, the orientation of the circuits, the number of turns in each circuit, and the material properties of the circuits.

4. How is mutual inductance used in real-world applications?

Mutual inductance is used in many applications, such as in transformers, which are used to step up or step down voltages in electrical systems. It is also used in wireless power transfer and inductively coupled devices, such as inductive charging for smartphones.

5. What is the difference between mutual inductance and self inductance?

Mutual inductance refers to the interaction between two circuits, while self inductance refers to the ability of a circuit to produce an induced voltage in itself. Mutual inductance involves two separate inductors, whereas self inductance involves only one inductor. Additionally, mutual inductance is dependent on the coupling between the two circuits, while self inductance is solely dependent on the properties of the individual circuit.