My Crazy math teacher says this is solvable

• Thread starter The Divine Zephyr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Teacher
In summary, the equation x - x = 12/25 has no solution in any field where 1 is the multiplicative identity, and it cannot be solved for x. The possibility of it being a typo was suggested.
The Divine Zephyr
[tex]
\\x-\frac {x}{1}=\frac{12}{25} ...then...\\x-x=\frac{12}{25}\\ ...then...0=\frac{12}{25}

[/tex]

... I hope not...

Is there a way? It was on homework and he says that all of them have answers. He didnt direct any comment on this problem. btw, only the first part is actaully on the problem, the part after the first "then" is what I got.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your problem has no solution in any field where 1 is the multiplicative identity, much less in the real numbers. The problem may have been a typo of x - 1/x = 12/25.

did the problem ask you to solve for x? x is not solvable...100%... period
that might be a typo or something alike...
you might want to make sure the question is not "is x solvable" j/k

A number "n" cannot be subtracted by an identical value and result in a positive value.

The answer could be something like "unsolvable."

Yeah, I emailed my teacher and he said it was a typo ;)

What does "solvable" mean in this context?

"Solvable" means that there exists a solution to the problem or equation presented by the math teacher.

How do I know if the problem is actually solvable?

If the problem has a clearly defined question or goal, and all necessary information is provided, it is likely solvable. However, if there are missing variables or the question is unclear, it may not be solvable.

Why does my math teacher say this problem is solvable?

Math teachers are trained to recognize patterns and apply mathematical concepts to solve problems. They also have experience with different types of equations and problems, so they can determine if a problem is solvable based on their knowledge and expertise.

Can I solve this problem without using math?

It depends on the specific problem and what is considered "math". Some problems may require basic arithmetic or algebraic concepts, while others may involve more advanced mathematical concepts. However, it is possible to approach problem-solving in a logical or analytical way without explicitly using mathematical equations.

What should I do if I can't solve the problem my crazy math teacher gave me?

First, make sure you have all the necessary information and understand the question or goal. If you are still having trouble, try breaking the problem into smaller, more manageable parts. You can also seek help from your teacher or classmates, or try using online resources or textbooks for additional guidance.