My First Double Slit Experiment

In summary, the conversation discusses the successful double slit experiment that was done using aluminum foil and a red laser. The speaker also mentions using a cd or dvd for a wider interference pattern and creating templates with photocopiers and transparency paper. They question if this experiment can be done at home with inexpensive materials.
thenewmans
Excuse me for patting myself on the back here but I just did my first successful double slit experiment. And it was easy! I poked 2 small holes in aluminum foil just as close as I could and shined my kid’s cheap red laser through them and Viola! I thought I needed razors and prisms and 2 lasers, but no. It took me about 5 minutes to get it right. Now I have to figure out how to get a detector by one of the holes.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try reflecting laser light from a cd or dvd, you will
get very wide interference pattern, and only see 1 or 2
maxima. Also, strip the foil carefully off the cd
and you can shine laser through to get a very
good diffraction grating. The grooves are very close
- much better than you can get with a pin.

This reminds me, I once read that you could make interference templates with photocopiers and using transparency paper. I imagine that could work with a printer as well.

Very Cool! That took about 5 seconds.

thenewmans said:
Now I have to figure out how to get a detector by one of the holes.

Is that really something a person can do at home on the cheap? Serious question.

1. What is a double slit experiment?

A double slit experiment is a scientific experiment that involves shining a beam of light or particles through two parallel slits and observing the resulting interference pattern.

2. What is the purpose of a double slit experiment?

The purpose of a double slit experiment is to demonstrate the wave-like nature of light and particles, as well as the phenomenon of interference, where waves can overlap and create a pattern of bright and dark spots.

3. How does a double slit experiment work?

In a double slit experiment, a beam of light or particles is directed towards two parallel slits, creating two sources of waves. These waves then overlap and interfere with each other, resulting in an interference pattern on a screen placed behind the slits.

4. What can we learn from a double slit experiment?

By conducting a double slit experiment, we can learn about the wave-like properties of light and particles, as well as the concept of interference. This experiment also supports the idea of quantum mechanics, which states that particles can behave like waves and have a probabilistic nature.

5. How is a double slit experiment relevant to modern science?

The double slit experiment is relevant to modern science as it helps us understand the fundamental properties of light and particles, which have important applications in fields such as quantum physics, optics, and astronomy. This experiment also continues to be a topic of research and exploration, providing insights into the nature of our universe.