Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

My house is like an intellectual desert

1. May 27, 2003 #1
    I honestly don't think my parents have ever had an intelligent thought in their lives. My mother couldn't sit through the last ten minutes of a radio program on virtue because she wanted to watch television. She said that at her age (late 40's) she has no desire to think about life, and that all these philosophers were doing were blabbing on. What a horrible state to reach. How am I even related to this woman? ...At least I far outmatched her in wit and cleverness in a little argument we had after I turned it off. Haha.
  2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2003 #2
    I wouldn't consider being "intellectual" a positive quality myself. I also wouldn't consider being "intelligent" positive. I'd consider them both neautral.

But if you're seeking them in others, then I see your point. In some ways I agree, and yet sometimes I try to seek those who are not intellectual, because there always seems to be less stress involved.
  4. May 28, 2003 #3
    Re: Re: My house is like an intellectual desert...

Might one ask, why?

Spoken like a true anti-scientist (no offence).
  5. May 28, 2003 #4
    zk4586, you are not alone. My mother is the most "anti-learning" people I know. It's actually rather irritating, which would explain why I've stopped talking to her (or pretty much anyone else) about any of the things I learn.
  6. May 28, 2003 #5
    My mother actually gave me a funny look when they saw I had bought an issue of National Geographic. I'm glad someone else out there knows what it's like.
  7. May 28, 2003 #6
    ^I wouldn't think that kind of behaviour is so uncommon from Mothers :smile:
  8. May 28, 2003 #7
    Intellectual desert... or intellectual dessert?

9. May 28, 2003 #8
    Re: Re: My house is like an intellectual desert...

His post makes it rather obvious that he's talking about a "desert", not a "dessert".
  10. May 28, 2003 #9
    How old are you, zk4586?
  11. May 28, 2003 #10
    Wow, my mom would love to see me reading National Geographic. She's not the most educatd woman, but she has an appreciation for education.
  12. May 28, 2003 #11
    Hey, you trying to make me jealous?
  13. May 28, 2003 #12
    Re: Re: Re: My house is like an intellectual desert...

My post makes it rather obvious that I'm just joking around.
    Mentat or Mental....

14. May 28, 2003 #13
    17 as of April. I'll be a senior next year. You?
  15. May 29, 2003 #14
    Re : My house is like an intellectual desert

zk4586, it seems to me that you do mind your house is like an intellectual desert, right?

I know how it feels because I don't think my house is an intellectual one too. All I know is that our parents want us to be educated and to be a useful person in the future. Hm.. afterall we are the one who are in control of our own lives, be positive.

Sometimes I do think it is kinda unfair and feel jealous when we see our friends or classmates whose families are intellectual and they can discuss with their families what they've learnt, but we can't make comparisons because it would be painful to compare everything you don't have with others, and keep in mind what we do have is already a lot.
    Last edited: May 29, 2003
  16. May 29, 2003 #15
    My life at home was very different from what you are saying. I learned physics principles at dinner through questions my father would ask, such as "Do you want a positive or negative meniscus?" he would say when pouring our drinks. Whenever a guest would come over, we would have to quickly tell them to answer, "Negative!" or they would find themselves struggling to drink from a cup on the brink of overflowing.

So I can't appreciate your position, but I can tell you this, try to make the best of it. Your mom and dad won't be around forever. Talk to them about what interests them and find your intellectual stimulation elsewhere.

Life has a way of knocking the desire to improve yourself out of many people ( like your mom said, she has no desire to think about life). Try to understand that it comes from a feeling of hopelessness, the thought that there is no way to improve things. Not necessarily that she wants the same for you.
  17. May 29, 2003 #16

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My father used to test my attention to detail in the same way. For instance, when I asked if I could have a cookie, he might say "two" yet hold up three fingers. If I was paying attention, I'd notice his fingers and get to have 3. :smile:
  18. Jun 1, 2003 #17
    15, also as of April.
  19. Jun 1, 2003 #18
    That is impressive.

Good pattern recognition.
  20. Jun 3, 2003 #19
    i know how you feel... it is depressing to challenge other more experianced peer in intellectual debate and be shot down only because you yourself are inexperianced. My mother and sister are more interested in trying to be "hoots" then to actually think.
  21. Jun 3, 2003 #20
    my mom encourages my education, but has different opinions about my philosopical views. she obviously would like me to join into her vauge religion and when i say that i can't, she dismisses it as "a part of the rebellious teenage nature".
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?