My Journey to a Bachelor's Degree in Astrophysics at Berkeley

In summary: Yep, I'm going to be applying to grad school later this year and go for a Ph.D. Afterwards I'm hoping to go into research, and maybe if I get the chance, be a part of a project involving NASA. Who knows?I'm still a kid with aspirations.
protonchain
So this story involves me and my bachelors degree in astrophysics at Berkeley. I started studying there in 2004 (when I graduated from high school), and was supposed to graduate in 2008, but I took some time off to do research and I had quite a few problems and bumpy roads along the way in terms of stress and performance and all that.

Basically I had an incomplete in this cosmology class at Berkeley. I needed to make it up in order to graduate.

The professor at Berkeley literally told me "It's a waste of your time and everyone else's time if you took it here, so take it in UCSD".

I applied for it and it was a graduate level course. Aka for masters and PhD students. I needed this class for my bachelors.

I worked so hard on it, was so stressed that I didn't sleep until 4 am for the last couple of weeks.

I just on my usual routine was checking the site and I GOT A B IN THE CLASS!

HOLY CRAP!

I'm so freaking happy right now. I no longer need to look back and regret any decisions I made or go "I could have tried harder". IM FREAKING DONE.

BAHAHAHAHA.

Sorry, just so happy, I wanted to spread my message of elation and relief.

Physics news on Phys.org
awesome man, i figured this was going to be a "woe is me, i got a B" thread, but I'm glad it's a positive thread.

just shows what hard work can accomplish.
congrats and enjoy your achievement.

Good job hanging in there with the big dogs! You should be very,very proud for doing so well in graduate level work.

Very commendable, protonchain. You stuck it out, and I hope now you can segue smoothly into a career with your new diploma. Got any prospects?

protonchain said:
for masters and PhD students

Now you know it is your level :wink:

Now all you have to do is stick it out for another 4-5 years to get your PhD.

protonchain said:
Sorry, just so happy, I wanted to spread my message of elation and relief.

Congratulations! Good job.

Congarats

I know this is a bump, but I've been spending the last 3 days with my friend and had no time at all to check the email or the net. So now I'm catching up.

Just wanted to say thanks everyone for the comments! You guys rock.

turbo-1 said:
Very commendable, protonchain. You stuck it out, and I hope now you can segue smoothly into a career with your new diploma. Got any prospects?

Yep, I'm going to be applying to grad school later this year and go for a Ph.D. Afterwards I'm hoping to go into research, and maybe if I get the chance, be a part of a project involving NASA. Who knows? I'm still a kid with aspirations.

NASA is waiting for you

Topher925 said:
Now all you have to do is stick it out for another 4-5 years to get your PhD.
You mean 7-8 years?

Related to My Journey to a Bachelor's Degree in Astrophysics at Berkeley

1. What inspired you to pursue a Bachelor's degree in Astrophysics at Berkeley?

I have always been fascinated by the vastness and complexity of the universe. As a child, I would spend hours looking up at the stars and dreaming of exploring outer space. As I grew older, I became more interested in understanding the science behind the cosmos and decided to pursue a degree in astrophysics.

2. What makes Berkeley's astrophysics program stand out?

Berkeley's astrophysics program is highly renowned for its rigorous curriculum and cutting-edge research opportunities. The university has a long history of producing groundbreaking research in the field of astrophysics, and its faculty members are world-renowned experts in their respective areas of study. Additionally, the program offers a diverse range of courses, allowing students to explore various subfields within astrophysics.

3. What has been the most challenging aspect of your journey to a Bachelor's degree in Astrophysics at Berkeley?

The most challenging aspect of my journey has been balancing a heavy course load with research opportunities and extracurricular activities. The astrophysics program at Berkeley is rigorous, and it requires a significant amount of time and dedication to succeed. However, the challenges have also been incredibly rewarding, pushing me to become a better student and researcher.

4. What has been the most exciting experience during your time at Berkeley?

The most exciting experience for me has been conducting research with a team of professors and fellow students. Through this experience, I have been able to apply the concepts I learned in the classroom to real-world problems and contribute to the scientific community. It has also allowed me to develop valuable skills in data analysis, problem-solving, and teamwork.

5. What advice do you have for aspiring astrophysicists?

My advice for aspiring astrophysicists is to stay curious and never stop learning. The field of astrophysics is continuously evolving, and there is always more to discover. Take advantage of research opportunities, ask questions, and don't be afraid to step out of your comfort zone. Also, don't forget to take care of your mental and physical well-being – it's crucial for success in any field.