Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

My laptops fan is making a loud noise?

1. Jun 14, 2009 #1
    does anyone know how i can fix this? it's really annoying and i don't want to have to bring it in seeing as it sounds like the big external fan

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2009 #2

MATLABdude

Science Advisor

Blow it out with compressed air? May require laptop disassembly for this to really work, however.

4. Jun 15, 2009 #3
    Take your laptop apart and clean the fan and heat sink. If your feeling really ambitious, replace the thermal pad with a high quality thermal compound.

5. Jun 20, 2009 #4
    In my experience, this would happen often with high end gaming laptops and was a common problem when i used to work at a help desk for these kinds of things. The Dell XPS series comes to mind and the Alienware laptops as well. Not really much you can do except what was already mentioned, clean your laptop, if it persists, it could be hardware failure.

6. Jun 20, 2009 #5
    Its either you leave your laptop on for too long so it gets overheated if not then take your laptop apart and clean the inside but if you are not sure of how to do it then take it to an expert to do it for you if you do not want to risk getting an electric shock or destroying your laptop completely.

7. Jul 21, 2009 #6
    Usually the ball bearings go out in fans and make them wobble, which causes the noise!

Unfortunately, replacing the fan is your best bet.

j

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook