My lcd monitor is making me feel sleepy

In summary, staring at an LCD monitor can make us feel sleepy due to the blue light emitted, which suppresses melatonin production and disrupts our sleep-wake cycle. Adjusting brightness and color settings can help reduce this effect. Prolonged exposure to LCD monitors can also cause eye strain and other health issues. To reduce blue light, you can use a filter or screen protector. Staring at an LCD monitor is more likely to make you feel sleepy in the evening or at night due to the disruption of melatonin production.
ksle82
Is this common? At what is the cure(s) if any?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are tired, go to sleep!

It's not your LCD monitor. It's your mouse! Ruuuuuun!

- Warren

ksle82 said:
Is this common? At what is the cure(s) if any?

There's one experimental cure, being researched at Vanderbilt University Medical Center:

ICS

I wish mine made me feel sleepy. It keeps showing me cool stuff that I have to stay awake to see. :frown:Wha... over there... what was tha... :zzz:

Last edited:

Related to My lcd monitor is making me feel sleepy

1. Why does staring at my LCD monitor make me feel sleepy?

This is a common issue for many people who spend a lot of time in front of a computer screen. The main reason for this is the blue light emitted by LCD monitors. This blue light can suppress the production of melatonin, the hormone responsible for regulating our sleep-wake cycle. This can disrupt our natural circadian rhythm and make us feel sleepy.

2. Can adjusting the brightness or color settings of my LCD monitor help with sleepiness?

Yes, it can. By reducing the brightness and adjusting the color temperature of your monitor, you can reduce the amount of blue light emitted. This can help in regulating your body's melatonin production and make you feel less sleepy.

3. Are there any other health effects of staring at an LCD monitor for long periods of time?

Yes, there can be. In addition to disrupting our sleep-wake cycle, prolonged exposure to LCD monitors can also cause eye strain, headaches, and blurred vision. It is important to take breaks and practice proper eye care when using a computer for extended periods of time.

4. Are there any ways to reduce the amount of blue light emitted by my LCD monitor?

Yes, there are. You can purchase a blue light filter or screen protector for your monitor. These filters can block a significant amount of blue light and help reduce the negative effects on your sleep cycle.

5. Is there a specific time of day when staring at an LCD monitor is more likely to make me feel sleepy?

Yes, it is more likely to happen in the evening or at night. This is because our bodies naturally start producing melatonin in the evening to prepare us for sleep. So, if you are using your computer late at night, the blue light from your monitor can disrupt this natural process and make you feel more sleepy than usual.