Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: My teacher marked me wrong but it think this is right

1. Jun 17, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A batter hits a fastball that is travelling at -38 m/s,. The ball has a mass of 0.145 kg. The change in momentum in the ball is 13.1 kg.m/s. what is the balls final momentum?

B.) what is the final velocity of the baseball?

2. Relevant equations

deltaP = Pf - Pi

P = mv

3. The attempt at a solution

p initial = 0.145( -38.0) = -5.51 kg.m/s

so... 13.1 = Pf - (-5.51)

Pf = 13.1 - 5.51
    = 7.59 kg.m/s

b.) Pf = mvf

7.59= 0.145vf
    vf = 52.3 m/s

I thought this problem was pretty basic, but i got 0 out of 4 for it, what do you guys get for a solution?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2010 #2
    This looks right to me...

4. Jun 17, 2010 #3
    The question is a little vague, but I'd answer it as you did.

What is confusing is that the wording does not make it clear whether the change in momentum is a vector component change, or vector magnitude change. A magnitude change would imply an impossibly fast speed, so I would answer as you did. However, a vector component change is still vague because we don't know what direction the ball was hit in. There may be x, y and z components of the momentum. So, your method is still not really correct unless the ball was hit directly into the pitcher's face.

Personally, I give your teacher 0 points on this one, unless you've misrepresented the original wording of the question.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook