1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

My teacher marked me wrong but it think this is right

1. Jun 17, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A batter hits a fastball that is travelling at -38 m/s,. The ball has a mass of 0.145 kg. The change in momentum in the ball is 13.1 kg.m/s. what is the balls final momentum?

B.) what is the final velocity of the baseball?

2. Relevant equations

deltaP = Pf - Pi

P = mv

3. The attempt at a solution

p initial = 0.145( -38.0) = -5.51 kg.m/s

so... 13.1 = Pf - (-5.51)

Pf = 13.1 - 5.51
    = 7.59 kg.m/s

b.) Pf = mvf

7.59= 0.145vf
    vf = 52.3 m/s

I thought this problem was pretty basic, but i got 0 out of 4 for it, what do you guys get for a solution?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2010 #2
    This looks right to me...
  4. Jun 17, 2010 #3
    The question is a little vague, but I'd answer it as you did.

What is confusing is that the wording does not make it clear whether the change in momentum is a vector component change, or vector magnitude change. A magnitude change would imply an impossibly fast speed, so I would answer as you did. However, a vector component change is still vague because we don't know what direction the ball was hit in. There may be x, y and z components of the momentum. So, your method is still not really correct unless the ball was hit directly into the pitcher's face.

Personally, I give your teacher 0 points on this one, unless you've misrepresented the original wording of the question.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook