My teacher marked me wrong but it think this is right

• Thread starter physicskid72
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Teacher
In summary, a batter hits a fastball with a mass of 0.145 kg that is initially traveling at -38 m/s. The change in momentum of the ball is 13.1 kg.m/s. To find the final momentum, we use the formula deltaP = Pf - Pi and solve for Pf, which is 7.59 kg.m/s. To find the final velocity of the ball, we use the formula P = mv and solve for vf, which is 52.3 m/s. However, the question is vague and it is unclear whether the change in momentum is a vector component change or a vector magnitude change, making the answer uncertain.
physicskid72

Homework Statement

A batter hits a fastball that is traveling at -38 m/s,. The ball has a mass of 0.145 kg. The change in momentum in the ball is 13.1 kg.m/s. what is the balls final momentum?

B.) what is the final velocity of the baseball?

Homework Equations

deltaP = Pf - Pi

P = mv

The Attempt at a Solution

p initial = 0.145( -38.0) = -5.51 kg.m/s

so... 13.1 = Pf - (-5.51)

Pf = 13.1 - 5.51
= 7.59 kg.m/s

b.) Pf = mvf

7.59= 0.145vf
vf = 52.3 m/s

I thought this problem was pretty basic, but i got 0 out of 4 for it, what do you guys get for a solution?

Physics news on Phys.org
This looks right to me...

physicskid72 said:
I thought this problem was pretty basic, but i got 0 out of 4 for it, what do you guys get for a solution?

The question is a little vague, but I'd answer it as you did.

What is confusing is that the wording does not make it clear whether the change in momentum is a vector component change, or vector magnitude change. A magnitude change would imply an impossibly fast speed, so I would answer as you did. However, a vector component change is still vague because we don't know what direction the ball was hit in. There may be x, y and z components of the momentum. So, your method is still not really correct unless the ball was hit directly into the pitcher's face.

Personally, I give your teacher 0 points on this one, unless you've misrepresented the original wording of the question.

FAQ: My teacher marked me wrong but it think this is right

1. Why do teachers sometimes mark students' answers wrong even if they think they are right?

Teachers may mark students' answers wrong if they do not fully understand the student's reasoning or if the answer does not align with the expected answer according to the curriculum or course guidelines.

2. What can I do if I believe my answer is correct but my teacher marked it wrong?

You can respectfully approach your teacher and explain your reasoning behind your answer. It is important to listen to their feedback and try to understand their perspective. You can also ask for an explanation as to why your answer was marked wrong and how you can improve in the future.

3. Is it possible that my teacher made a mistake in marking my answer wrong?

Teachers are human and can make mistakes. If you have carefully checked your answer and believe it is correct, you can politely ask your teacher to review it again. However, it is important to approach the situation with respect and open-mindedness.

4. Should I argue with my teacher if they mark my answer wrong?

It is important to have a respectful and open conversation with your teacher if you disagree with their marking. However, it is important to remember that ultimately, it is their decision and it is important to accept their feedback and use it to improve in the future.

5. How can I avoid having my answers marked wrong in the future?

To avoid having your answers marked wrong, make sure to carefully read and understand the question before answering. It is also helpful to show your work and reasoning behind your answer. If you are unsure about a question, don't be afraid to ask your teacher for clarification.