My tutor set me out to figure out how shadows are 3D.I'm 14 so I

In summary, my tutor set me out to figure out how shadows are 3D. He said I won't fully understand until year 12. If you know anything please post, thanks!
Cbray
My tutor set me out to figure out how shadows are 3D.
I'm 14 so I said they can't because shadows don't have depth.
How is this possible? He said I won't fully understand until year 12.

If you know anything please post,
thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

I think i got what he meant. Think about the space between you and the shadow you project on a wall, for example. Is this space at light or at shadow? Is this space 2D or 3D?

This is kind of a confusing question. Your actual shadow that is projected onto a surface is 2d, but the area that light is being blocked from is 3d. Could you tell what context this was in? What were you guys studying exactly?

Hi Cbray! :smile:

Hint: the Moon is eclipsed when it enters the Earth's shadow …

what shape is the Earth's shadow? :wink:

Umbra and Penumbra..?
Haha I have no clue, tell me :>

And what shape is the umbra? :wink:

A cone?

Yup! :smile:

And how many dimensions is a cone? :wink:

So are you just saying that the space between the two objects is technically a 3D shadow?

Tiny-Tim I got another question (I'm 14 and want to become an astrophysicist).

Q) How can time be apart of the universe/space, since it's just a measurement. If we were in a further or closer orbit, wouldn't our time measurement be different? And what if we weren't in orbit, we wouldn't have time then.. or would we?

What two objects? :confused:

The Earth and Moon.
I was just referring to anything in real life, but obviously the shape would be different.

Can you read my question, please?

A shadow belongs to only one object. :wink:

Sorry I must of typed it wrong to confuse you.. :L
Can you answer my question, it's been stuck in my head forever.

Cbray said:
Can you read my question, please?

That's a completely different question …

please start a new thread. :smile:

1. How do shadows appear to be three-dimensional?

Shadows appear to be three-dimensional because they are created when an object blocks light from reaching a surface. This creates a contrast between the lit and shadowed areas, giving the illusion of depth and dimension.

2. What factors affect the appearance of 3D shadows?

The factors that affect the appearance of 3D shadows include the angle and intensity of the light source, the distance between the object and the surface, and the properties of the surface itself (such as its texture and reflectivity).

3. Can shadows be different shapes in different lighting conditions?

Yes, shadows can appear to be different shapes in different lighting conditions. This is because the angle and intensity of the light source can change, altering the way the object blocks light and creating a different shadow shape.

4. How can I visualize the 3D nature of shadows?

One way to visualize the 3D nature of shadows is to experiment with different objects and light sources in a controlled environment. You can also use shadow puppets or create a model to better understand how shadows form and interact with their surroundings.

5. What are some real-life applications of understanding 3D shadows?

Understanding 3D shadows can have practical applications in fields such as architecture, art, and computer graphics. It can also help us better understand and predict the behavior of light in various environments, which has implications for photography, cinematography, and other visual media.