My tutor set me out to figure out how shadows are 3D.I'm 14 so I

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Cbray
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Figure Set Tutor
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
14 replies · 2K views
Cbray
Messages
130
Reaction score
0
My tutor set me out to figure out how shadows are 3D.
I'm 14 so I said they can't because shadows don't have depth.
How is this possible? He said I won't fully understand until year 12.

If you know anything please post,
thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org


I think i got what he meant. Think about the space between you and the shadow you project on a wall, for example. Is this space at light or at shadow? Is this space 2D or 3D?
 


This is kind of a confusing question. Your actual shadow that is projected onto a surface is 2d, but the area that light is being blocked from is 3d. Could you tell what context this was in? What were you guys studying exactly?
 
Hi Cbray! :smile:

Hint: the Moon is eclipsed when it enters the Earth's shadow …

what shape is the Earth's shadow? :wink:​
 


Umbra and Penumbra..?
Haha I have no clue, tell me :>
 


So are you just saying that the space between the two objects is technically a 3D shadow?
 


Tiny-Tim I got another question (I'm 14 and want to become an astrophysicist).

Q) How can time be apart of the universe/space, since it's just a measurement. If we were in a further or closer orbit, wouldn't our time measurement be different? And what if we weren't in orbit, we wouldn't have time then.. or would we?
 


The Earth and Moon.
I was just referring to anything in real life, but obviously the shape would be different.

Can you read my question, please?
 


Sorry I must of typed it wrong to confuse you.. :L
Can you answer my question, it's been stuck in my head forever.
 
Cbray said:
Can you read my question, please?

That's a completely different question …

please start a new thread. :smile:​