Nail guns

1. wolram

wolram 3,762
    Gold Member

A most dangerous piece of kit, i used to build fence/shed nailing
    machines fitted with up to 8 of these guns, and i treated the things
    with ultimate respect, but now they are available to the general
    public:surprised, i think if (anyone) is to use one they should be (trained)
    in it use, i mean they can fire 6inch barbed nails through 4 inches of wood.
    Evo, no.

2. jcsd
  3. wolram

wolram 3,762
    Gold Member

4. I watched a man nail his knee-cap, while he was roofing. The worst part was trying to get him down from the roof, while begging him not to pull the nail out himself. I've always wondered how it healed.
    I also know someone who used a nail gun to try and put carpet down on a cement floor. He was lucky, but the scar on his cheek will remind him forever how stupid he was.

5. russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

There are tools designed for shooting nails into cement floors, though - I'm using one now on my basement.

6. Evo

I almost bought one, then decided against it, I do enough damage with a hammer. :redface:

7. edward

edward 1,004
    Gold Member

I remember when Remington came out with the stud drivers. They only had two cartridge sizes, too small and KRRR WHHAAAAM.:smile:

8. edward

edward 1,004
    Gold Member

Evo packing a nail gun , now that is a scarry thought.:surprised

9. Evo

:redface: I am constantly covered with bruises. You should hear me walking through the house. WHAM! :surprised WHAM! :surprised Apparantly I can't judge distances. :frown:

10. Advice

:eek:
    Drink less (alcohol).
    Get new spectacles.

:cool:

11. berkeman

Wasn't there a thread a while back about you and a chainsaw? :bugeye:

12. Astronuc

I have encountered people who shot themselves with nail guns. One guy was nailing two pieced of wood together while holding them with his hand. The nail went through the wood and into his finger!

And I have seen some near misses.

13. Evo

Yep. Brewnog drew a very graphic depiction of me sawing a tree limb. :redface: Actually that was the weeping willow thread, here's the chainsaw thread.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=117743

Last edited: Apr 9, 2007
  14. Last edited: Apr 9, 2007
  15. I have used them daily, but now only on weekends. They are wonderful. I've had some close calls, but no skin breakage ;) I did have a guy working with me whom shot himself right in the web of his hand between his thumb and rest of his hand. He proceeded to pull it out, but then it bled too bad. He drove himself to the hospital and as he was driving away he yelled out the car window "Maybe they'll put a shingle on it for me there haha!".

The most dangerous tool is by far the the skillsaw in which the blade guard has been taken off for quicker cutting. I've seen two guys bounce one of those suckers off the side of their leg. It makes a disturbing noise.

I miss my construction days sometimes ;)

16. berkeman

OMG! Skillsaws are dangerous enough as-is. What fool would take the guard off? I agree with you that I've had more close calls with skillsaws than with any other power tool, including my tablesaw.

17. I think you mean near hits.

18. berkeman

:rofl: And some people wonder why you have the Funniest Member award! :rofl:

Good point though! :blushing:

19. turbo

turbo 7,366
    Gold Member

My very lovely young cousin is a dancer and she moves beautifully when she is doing ballet in a stage production, etc. When she's not practicing or performing, she's an absolute klutz - always bumping into stuff. When she gets married this summer, I'll be surprised if she doesn't stumble on her way down the aisle. If she does, she'll just blush, grin, and forge on.

20. In framing, time is money :) Pulling the guard back every 2 seconds gets old :rolleyes:

21. wolram

wolram 3,762
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?