What can we learn from a year-long Mars isolation experiment in Hawaii?

• NASA
  • Thread starter Dr.Physics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mars Nasa
In summary, the HI-SEAS isolation experiment is starting. They will be able to study the human factor in long-duration spaceflight.
Dr.Physics
I am very interested in the Astronautical area of science; however I am still in high school so I don't get a lot of time to read up on the latest news about this future mission. This is why I am eager to be filled in on the latest news about the mission. I am looking to know about the participants, the technology and the plan NASA have devised to reach this impressive feat. Could you guys help me get back up to date on the latest news?

Physics news on Phys.org
Dr.Physics said:
I am very interested in the Astronautical area of science; however I am still in high school so I don't get a lot of time to read up on the latest news about this future mission.

LOL, you will find that your free time decreases as you go through college and your first few jobs. You should have plenty of time for extra reading in high school. :smile: Even playing 4 sports I was able to read a bunch... :biggrin:

Thank you for your help, these links have been a very informative on the matter and now feel like I am more up-to-date with the Mars manned mission.
Also I usually have the time to keep up to date on this sort of stuff, however I have been really busy this year as it is my last year of high school and I want to maximise my grades to ensure my entry into the courses I want to study in university.
Thank you Greg Bernhardt, berkeman and Astronuc for all your help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Not aerospace technology, but rather the "human factor" side of long-duration spaceflight.

One year and counting: Mars isolation experiment begins
http://news.yahoo.com/long-mars-isolation-experiment-starting-hawaii-212900729.html

The exterior of the HI-SEAS habitat on the northern slope of Mauna Loa in Hawaii is seen in this March 10, 2015 image, courtesy of the University of Hawaii at Manoa. From an astronomical perspective, they should be able to get good views of stars at night.

1. What is the current status of NASA's Mars Manned Mission?

The current status of NASA's Mars Manned Mission is in the planning and development stages. NASA has set a goal to send humans to Mars in the 2030s, but no specific timeline has been set.

2. Why is NASA planning a manned mission to Mars?

NASA's goal for a manned mission to Mars is to further explore the planet and potentially establish a human presence on it. This could lead to new scientific discoveries and advancements in space technology.

3. How will NASA ensure the safety of astronauts on a Mars Manned Mission?

NASA is currently conducting research and testing to ensure the safety of astronauts on a Mars Manned Mission. This includes developing new technologies, such as advanced life support systems, and conducting simulations to prepare for potential risks and challenges.

4. What are the potential benefits of a successful Mars Manned Mission?

A successful Mars Manned Mission could lead to a better understanding of the Red Planet and its potential for supporting human life. It could also pave the way for future exploration and colonization of Mars, as well as advancements in space technology and international cooperation.

5. How much will a Mars Manned Mission cost?

The cost of a Mars Manned Mission is currently estimated to be around $35 billion. This includes the development of new technology, building and launching spacecraft, and supporting the astronauts during their mission. However, this cost could change as the mission progresses and more research is conducted.