Natural Light and Linear Polarizer

In summary, when you have a set of polarizers with different angles, the intensity decreases as you move away from the original angle of polarization.
Frank Einstein
Hi, In the first place I want to apologize for my bad English. In the second, I have a concept doubt, If I make natural light to go on a linear polarizer of angle 0º, the intensity, or irradiance here, It would be I0/√2 and it's Jones vector would be (1, 0) (as column). What would happen If I put infinite polarizators which angles were 0º for the first and Pi/2 for the last, changing infinitesimal angles in between?

Would I have light which irradiance would be 0 at the end?

That's what I think that might happen, because the first and last polarizators have an angle of Pi/2 between them, so the irradiance would be 0.

Science news on Phys.org
Nope, you'd actually get light through. You can see this by putting a polarizer at a 45 degree angle in between to polarizers set to 0 and 90 degrees. How much gets through I'm not certain.

Frank Einstein said:
Would I have light which irradiance would be 0 at the end?
I think that, if the polarizators are ideal, you would still have I0/√2 at the end.

Yes, that's right; if you use the fact that Ii+1=Ii*cos^2(b) where b is the differencie between the angles of polarization, adn is constant, you get an infinite sum which result is one.

The electric field gets reduced by cos(b). For one filter at 45 deg with respect to the previous one that is 1/sqrt(2), and for two steps 1/2.

The intensity is proportional to E^2, so if E gets reduced by 1/2, the intensity drops to 1/4. If you then assume that the original light was unpolarized the first filter already cuts out 1/2, and the final intensity is 1/8 of the unpolarized intensity.

Frank Einstein said:
Yes, that's right; if you use the fact that Ii+1=Ii*cos^2(b) where b is the differencie between the angles of polarization, adn is constant, you get an infinite sum which result is one.
It is not a sum, it is a product. Since all factors are the same the result is trivial.

If you have N steps, than at each step the E field gets reduced by cos(90 deg/N), i.e. (cos(90deg/N))^N in total for the E-field, and (cos(90deg/N)^(2N) for the intensity, with the additional factor 1/2 for the unpolarized incident light.

Drakkith said:
Nope, you'd actually get light through. You can see this by putting a polarizer at a 45 degree angle in between to polarizers set to 0 and 90 degrees. How much gets through I'm not certain.

The transmitted intensity is 25% of the incident intensity.

1. What is natural light?

Natural light refers to the light that comes from the sun or other natural sources, such as fire or lightning. It is a combination of all the colors in the visible spectrum and is constantly changing throughout the day.

2. What is a linear polarizer?

A linear polarizer is a type of optical filter that only allows light waves that are oscillating in a specific direction to pass through. It can be used to reduce glare and improve contrast in photographs.

3. How does a linear polarizer affect natural light?

A linear polarizer can significantly reduce glare and reflections from surfaces such as water, glass, and metal, making colors appear more vibrant and improving overall image quality. It can also enhance the contrast and saturation of the sky and foliage in landscape photography.

4. Can a linear polarizer be used with any camera?

Yes, a linear polarizer can be used with any camera that has a threaded lens, as long as the filter size matches the lens diameter. However, it is important to note that some cameras with automatic exposure or autofocus systems may not work properly with a linear polarizer.

5. Are there any disadvantages to using a linear polarizer?

One potential disadvantage of using a linear polarizer is that it can reduce the amount of light entering the camera, resulting in longer exposure times. This can be problematic in low-light situations or when photographing fast-moving subjects. Additionally, it can create a dark spot in the center of the image when using wide-angle lenses.