Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need a few geniuses to help save the world

1. Apr 13, 2004 #1
    Will IDEAS or BOMBS end wwiii? I think the answer is ideas...The way i see each person can either be part of the problem (i.e. apathetic) or part of the solution......So i have developed some ideas on how to stop all these stupid wars over religion if any1 wants to hear them?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2004 #2

Science Advisor

On the contrary. If we are ALL apathetic, war will end! It's these damn people who care so much making life difficult for the rest of us.

4. Apr 13, 2004 #3
    well that is a good idea perhaps but the problem is all people aren't apathetic especially when u throw in a few religious fanatics...the idea is to come up with a way to counter religious fanaticism with science i.e. verifiable facts
  5. Apr 13, 2004 #4
    Drop fuzzy stuffed animals over our enemies till they become too mushy-brained to do anything, ultimately dying like ants fed ant poison that kills by making the ants stupid. This might cause the ants to think your bed is the nest and drop the poison off there, but it works. Where's my nobel prize?
  6. Apr 13, 2004 #5
    Njorl, sometimes your insights amaze me.
  7. Apr 13, 2004 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

As long as you stick to the rules this is the place for ideas. Just prepare yourself for the feedback. :smile:
  8. Apr 13, 2004 #7

jimmy p

Gold Member

Kill all the stupid people, then wars wont start... When i rule the world, stupidity will be illegal and punishable by death.
  9. Apr 14, 2004 #8
    RML Born Free

This video clip might take around 4-5 minutes to download, but sometimes seemingly evil world leaders lip-synching to Born Free is necessary to remind you of how war makes everything okay.
  10. Apr 14, 2004 #9
    But wouldn't this mean the extermination of 95 percent of the human race mein fuhrer?
  11. Apr 14, 2004 #10

jimmy p

Gold Member

lol you are giving the human race a lot of credit there...i'd make it about 98.7%
  12. Apr 15, 2004 #11
  13. Apr 15, 2004 #12
    I think we've just been accused of being jack-booted Nazi thugs Herr Jimbo.
  14. Apr 15, 2004 #13

Science Advisor

Well I don't want to live in a world where everyone is smarter than me! Watching "Jeopardy" would be depressing, and the other posters on PF would make fun of me!

15. Apr 15, 2004 #14
    Isn't this is what is called "hijacking" someone's thread?

Someone has written something in all sincerity and seriousness, I believe.
    Wishes to share insights.

There are lots of funny little threads on PF, lots of places for members to show off their wit, or lack of it. PF members are a jokey bunch, and that's really fun, but when it drowns out what someone is trying to say, that is disturbing. That's claque behavior.

I don't care for this person's name, and I don't think calling people Nazis, unless they are Nazis, is reasonable. But I can see that it must be frustrating to try to discuss something and receive all static in reply...

Is ANYONE in PF experienced as part of a research team? Worked at a university or entity such as NASA? If so, you'll know what I mean when I say that in science, there is too much tolerance for the shouting down of ideas that seem unpopular, or silly, or strange. That's not the ideal; that's the reality. I've witnessed it, I've heard about it. Physics history is peppered with suicides of great minds who were met with mockery when sharing tremendous insights.

Now, I don't necessarily think this individual necessarily has a tremendous insight, but I would like to think that the process of rational listening and unemotional rebuttal is firmly in place, because one day perhaps one of our own PF members will post something astounding and far ahead of the curve, and I hope it would be accorded a proper trial, so to speak. (Like my Martian Cats thread!) I realize it's irritating to think you have aholt of a crackpot, but please, accord each their due if it's just harmless remarks and has no malicious intent. And let your silence speak louder than words...when you Forum Heavyweights, as I privately (and now not-so-privately call you) ignore a thread, that says something...that's very crushing...very powerful.
  16. Apr 15, 2004 #15

jimmy p

Gold Member

actually in the martian cats thread i asked if i could see the pictures cos i genuinely wanted to see them for myself.....
  17. Apr 15, 2004 #16
    so they locked my other thread...big surprise

Your evidence is based on an unprovable assumption.

If so then every single experiment EVER performed via the scientific method is flawed bc they ALL require humans to use their 5 senses of taste, touch, smell, hearing, and/or vision to complete the data collection process....

as i c it the problem with some of u is that u too have been brainwashed by the 'scientific method' which might as well be a 'religion' in it's own right and the FALSE notion that ANYTHING that mentions the word 'GOD" is automatically by definition 'unscientific' when i have clearly used plain lowest common denominator common sense that even a mentally retarded person should be able to understand to develop my
    "UNIFYING THEORY OF GOD". (which i blatantly admit is a THEORY)
    the point of this theory is that if roughly 90% of humans believe in some form of "GOD" then the only way to get the message of good science i.e. the 'scientific method' across to the masses is to develop a 'religion' based on the SCIENTIFIC METHOD and that is what i call REALITIANITY which is merely a belief in reality defined by an individuals own 5 senses..... i.e. believing in things that are VERIFIABLE and agreeing to disagree on the things that aren't............
  18. Apr 16, 2004 #17

jimmy p

Gold Member

David Ben-Ariel was a lot more fun...
  19. Apr 16, 2004 #18

Staff: Mentor

Yeah, and he at least knew how to do quotes so you could make sense of his posts.
  20. Apr 16, 2004 #19
    Now, anti-person, you have crossed the line and have moved into mean-spirited territory by denying mentally retarded persons their full humanity. I don't care for ad hominum attacks but rather the rebuttal of ideas with ideas; casting aspersions on the disabled to hammer home your point is very nasty.

I know a "mentally retarded" man who has a better grasp of this ol' world than most people will ever have; he is patient, kind, loving, minds his own business, and fair.
    I'm not reading any more of this person's posts!
  21. Apr 16, 2004 #20
    my uncle is mentally retarded and i deal with mentally retarded patients all the time....my post was in no way a slam against mentally retarded people but a slam against people who are unwilling to accept obvious truths and dismiss them bc they believe they are 'too smart'
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?