Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need a formula for CFM

1. Mar 3, 2010 #1
    I just want the formula that shows how to find for CFM. I have the pipe diameter and the PSI that are available. I'm just using air, nothing special.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2010 #2

stewartcs

Science Advisor

Can you be more specific with what you want to know? I presume you mean how to determine the flow rate of air in cubic feet per minute through a pipe when knowing only the pipe diameter and back pressure?

CS

4. Mar 3, 2010 #3
    Yes, that's exactly right. I know there's a way to do it. I just haven't been able to work that out.

5. Mar 3, 2010 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

The pressure is the static pressure in the pipe? That isn't enough to determine the airflow. You need a differential pressure across an orifice, pressure drop in a venturi or velocity pressure from a pitot tube.

Once you get some form of velocity pressure (and if you give us more details about your setup, we can tell you how to measure/estimate it), you can use a form of Bernoulli's equation to find the velocity:

V=4005*sqrt(Vp)
    where
    V= velocity in fpm
    Vp= velocity pressure in inches of water gauge.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
  6. Mar 3, 2010 #5
    We're going to have a compressor maintaining a constant pressure of +100psi regulated to 100psi and a 3/8" ID for the pipe at its' most narrow.

7. Mar 3, 2010 #6

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

That's static pressure. It doesn't have anything directly to do with velocity (consider an air tank pressurized to 100psi: no airflow at all). What is this pipe supplying? Or is it open ended?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?